The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Australia's Last Execution (1967) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,361
Australia's Last Execution (1967)

In the 16 years leading up to the execution of Ronald Ryan for the killing of a guard during a prison break, every single death sentence in Victoria, Australia—35 in all—had been commuted to life in prison. By then, two Australian states had abolished capital punishment for murder, and many in Victoria were under the impression that it had done the same. The decision to carry out Ryan's execution was widely protested. How many of the jurors who had convicted Ryan later petitioned on his behalf? More...
Professor
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 12:44:34 AM

Neurons: 42,160
Daemon wrote:
Australia's Last Execution (1967)

In the 16 years leading up to the execution of Ronald Ryan for the killing of a guard during a prison break, every single death sentence in Victoria, Australia—35 in all—had been commuted to life in prison. By then, two Australian states had abolished capital punishment for murder, and many in Victoria were under the impression that it had done the same. The decision to carry out Ryan's execution was widely protested. How many of the jurors who had convicted Ryan later petitioned on his behalf? More...

Interesting! In a civilized world do we still need capital punishment for the most heinous of crimes? It is an interesting debate and one that is sure to raise a debate.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
Kisekiko
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 10:50:52 AM

Neurons: 5,825
I was surprised to read that the execution method was hanging. I wonder whether death by electric chair or lethal injection hadn't been invented yet? Or perhaps it was simply a practical matter. They might not have had the resources for more modern methods.
IMcRout
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 11:00:13 AM

Neurons: 563,379
'More modern methods', you mentioned, Kisekiko.
What about drones?

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Guto André
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 2:23:33 PM

Neurons: 25,311
How many of the jurors who had convicted Ryan later petitioned on his behalf?

According to juryman Tom Gildea, the jury evidently thought that the death sentence would be commuted, as had happened in the previous 35 death penalties cases since 1951. Gildea's account of the discussions in the jury room, not one member of the jury thought that Ryan would be executed.
mangezi
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 8:01:52 PM

Neurons: 65,799
Kisekiko wrote:
I was surprised to read that the execution method was hanging. I wonder whether death by electric chair or lethal injection hadn't been invented yet? Or perhaps it was simply a practical matter. They might not have had the resources for more modern methods.
Terminology: "MORE MODERN TECHNOLOGY" - to me killing someone is killing. Long done in the Old Testament time; an eye for an eye.

I am not a genius. I am just a tremendous bundle of experience - Richard Fuller.
Apexcreativity
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 10:24:08 PM

Neurons: 13,907
Sounds like something out of a movie. God knows best. Lest i add, does an unrepentful person convicted of a crime before murder before execution represent claim of innocense or outright stubborness? Guess thats one for the man to decide...