The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster (2003) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,395
Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster (2003)

The Space Shuttle Columbia broke up upon reentry into Earth's atmosphere during the conclusion of its 28th mission to space, killing its seven-member crew. Investigations revealed that the breakup resulted from damage sustained during launch when a piece of foam insulation broke free from an external tank and struck the shuttle's left wing. NASA learned of the foam strike early on but failed take steps that might have averted the disaster. Why did they ignore the issue? More...
Christine
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:07:11 AM

Neurons: 15,842
"In a risk-management scenario similar to the Challenger disaster, NASA management failed to recognize the relevance of engineering concerns for safety for imaging to inspect possible damage, and failed to respond to engineer requests about the status of astronaut inspection of the left wing. Engineers made three separate requests for Department of Defense (DOD) imaging of the shuttle in orbit to more precisely determine damage. While the images were not guaranteed to show the damage, the capability existed for imaging of sufficient resolution to provide meaningful examination. NASA management did not honor the requests and in some cases intervened to stop the DOD from assisting"

shame on NASA

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Marguerite
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 10:10:11 AM

Neurons: 23,973
Though my comment will diminish the horror of the event, the Columbia space shuttle explosion serves to situate one in time and space, like Kennedy's assassination. I remember that afternoon as if it were yesterday. I was in G.Fox, a now defunct family owned department store, when people rushed in mass up the escalator. I followed to find myself shoring up in front of multiple television sets. We stood in shock as we watched the space shuttle explode into a ball of sparkles.
Guto André
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 3:49:23 PM

Neurons: 25,311
Normally a rescue mission is not possible, due to the time required to prepare a shuttle for launch, and the limited consumables (power, water, air) of an orbiting shuttle.
excaelis
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:05:54 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Christine wrote:
"In a risk-management scenario similar to the Challenger disaster, NASA management failed to recognize the relevance of engineering concerns for safety for imaging to inspect possible damage, and failed to respond to engineer requests about the status of astronaut inspection of the left wing. Engineers made three separate requests for Department of Defense (DOD) imaging of the shuttle in orbit to more precisely determine damage. While the images were not guaranteed to show the damage, the capability existed for imaging of sufficient resolution to provide meaningful examination. NASA management did not honor the requests and in some cases intervened to stop the DOD from assisting"

shame on NASA

Well said, Christine.

Sanity is not statistical
Professor
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:23:06 AM

Neurons: 42,160
I remember both accidents in the mid 1980 and the Challenger disaster. Both horrible realities of what can go wrong when you are working with that quantity of energy being released in the form of propulsion.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
Professor
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:27:13 AM

Neurons: 42,160
Marguerite wrote:
Though my comment will diminish the horror of the event, the Columbia space shuttle explosion serves to situate one in time and space, like Kennedy's assassination. I remember that afternoon as if it were yesterday. I was in G.Fox, a now defunct family owned department store, when people rushed in mass up the escalator. I followed to find myself shoring up in front of multiple television sets. We stood in shock as we watched the space shuttle explode into a ball of sparkles.

I agree with you Marguerite. Columbia situated me in time and space. I was a young engineer at my work table when we heard the news. It was horrifying. We were all gobsmacked and heartbroken.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."