The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The North Sea Flood (1953) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,442
The North Sea Flood (1953)

When heavy winds struck the North Sea during the high spring tide in 1953, it created a severe flood that affected parts of the Netherlands, Belgium, and the UK. Belgium suffered significant property damage but little loss of life. The Netherlands, on the other hand, had 1,836 reported deaths, and the UK had more than 500, with nearly half of the victims perishing at sea. The flood remains one of the UK's worst natural disasters. What has been done to prevent future disasters of this sort? More...
Guto André
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 10:16:38 AM

Neurons: 25,311
What has been done to prevent future disasters of this sort?

In the Netherlands, an ambitious flood defence system was conceived and constructed, beginning in the 1960s. Called the Delta Works (Dutch: Deltawerken), it is designed to protect the estuaries of the rivers Rhine, Meuse and Scheldt. The works were completed in 1998, upon completion of the storm surge barrier Maeslantkering, in the Nieuwe Waterweg, near Rotterdam.

In the UK, the Permanent Secretary to the Home Office Sir Frank Newsam coordinated the immediate efforts to defend homes, save lives and recover after the floods; his achievements were much praised. After the flooding, major investments were made in new sea defences. The Thames Barrier programme was started to secure central London against a future storm surge. The Thames Barrier was officially opened on 8 May 1984.
RogerK
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 12:49:16 PM

Neurons: 3
I was there. My sister went to school in Southwold I remember coming over the brow of a small hill and instead of seeing fields it looked this the ocean. After we drove as close as we could my dad and I walked miles to my sister's school. No cell phones back the! I was 10. It is one of those events in my life that I remember as if it were yesterday.
Marguerite
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 3:04:31 PM

Neurons: 23,973
We had a similar flood here in New Jersey/New York, Hurricane Sandy, yet nothing is being done for the next flood though what's coming in inevitable. Why have been become such a do nothing nation when we were formerely such a proactive nation?