The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

hidebound Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,850
hidebound

(adjective) Stubbornly conservative and narrow-minded.

Synonyms: traditionalist

Usage: It is no use trying to reason with your grandfather, he is a hidebound old man who will never understand your position on the matter.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 4:47:55 AM

Neurons: 556,174
And it no use trying to argue with your grandson. He acts like an old man who will never understand your position in the matter.

Justice must be seen to be donuts.
MTC
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 5:24:18 AM

Neurons: 8,606

Here's the the etymology from etymonline.com: hidebound (adj.)
1550s, from hide (n.1) + past tense of bind (v.). Original reference is to emaciated cattle with skin sticking closely to backbones and ribs; metaphoric sense of "restricted by narrow attitudes" is first recorded c.1600.

Like emaciated, hungry cattle suffering from a lack of food, hidebound conservatives suffer from a poverty of ideas.

Peaceful
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 7:22:26 AM

Neurons: 3,642
Believe it or not I'm not a hidebound person Whistle
Professor
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 11:16:03 AM

Neurons: 42,160
[quote=Daemon]hidebound

(adjective) Stubbornly conservative and narrow-minded.

Have you ever met hidebound persons? I have a family of them. I like the moderate side of the road. What is the word for stubbornly liberal but narrow-minded? Rachael Maddow ? I believe in a more progressive party.

This Progressive Party has the duty to maintain the government of the people, by the people and for the people, and the people have the responsibility to provide an honest days work for an honest days pay, to support and defend the constitution and to appreciate all that they have in a democratic society.

We hold with Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln that the people are the masters of their Constitution, to fulfill its purposes and to safeguard it from those who, by perversion of its intent, would convert it into an instrument of injustice. In accordance with the needs of each generation the people must use their sovereign powers to establish and maintain equal opportunity and industrial justice, to secure which this Government was founded and without which no democracy can endure.

The country belongs to the people who inhabit it. Its resources, its business, its institutions and its laws should be utilized, maintained or altered in whatever manner will best promote the general interest of the nation and humanity.
The natural resources of the Nation must be allowed to be developed and generously used to supply the people's needs, but with the caveat that there are none to be wasted or used inefficiently and as such no resource can be allowed to be wasted, exploited, monopolized or controlled against the general good. We heartily favor the policy of conservation, and we pledge to protect the National lands without hindering their legitimate use for the benefit of all the people.

Agricultural lands and grazing in the National forests should remain but conservation will not retard legitimate development. National lands should be open for coal, natural gas and oil, for water, power and other natural resources still within State or National control except that no such use should eliminate the public good and use of the land.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
xKeVyOx
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 11:53:45 AM

Neurons: 7,967
I think most early middle age persons can relate to having a parent or grandparent who is hidebound.

"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." -Tyler Durden, The film "Fight Club"
Absurdicuss
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 1:03:51 PM

Neurons: 30,654
We are all at some point, in some way, hidebound.

"Now" is the eternal present.
mangezi
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 3:25:35 PM

Neurons: 65,799
Look at this meat, it's so lean it leaves no doubt in me, these people killed those hidebound cows for us.

I am not a genius. I am just a tremendous bundle of experience - Richard Fuller.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 5:52:53 PM

Neurons: 30,654
Yessriee Muketah and everyone's dancing round in new leather shoes.Applause

"Now" is the eternal present.
aloe_vera
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 6:17:04 PM

Neurons: 1,488
Interestingly, when "Traditionalist" is clicked on for the definition, the logo of the Republican party comes up accompanied by a photo of a crabby looking fellow that I don't recognize.
I am a Traditionalist and conservative. Old ideas, principals and values that have been proved to be good are worth holding on to. Wise enough to know the Founding Fathers had an excellent grasp of human nature to make it as difficult as possible for every passing whim to overthrow the country. They recognized the brilliance of what a free people could do while restraining those voters who'd rush out to buy pet rocks and such. I'm all for common sense.

The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.” GK Chesterton
KAS
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 6:27:58 PM

Neurons: 1,623
Not me! You'll never convince me that I'm hidebound - not in a million years! Not talking

Oh, wait...

Drool

It neither is what it isn't, nor isn't what it is. Granted, many things aren’t what they were, but will be what they are