The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Pierre Paul François Camille Savorgnan de Brazza (1852) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
Pierre Paul François Camille Savorgnan de Brazza (1852)

Born to Italian nobility in Brazil, Brazza joined the French navy and explored present-day Gabon from 1875 to 1878. Racing his British-American counterpart Henry Morton Stanley, Brazza explored the Congo River region, where he founded the French Congo and Brazzaville—now capital of the Republic of the Congo. He added some 200,000 square miles (500,000 sq km) to the French colonial empire and was the French Congo's commissioner general from 1886 to 1898. Why was he sent back to the Congo in 1905? More...
RMK
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 4:45:29 AM

Neurons: 3,814
Jesus comes in many forms.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:06:12 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Very interesting!

1. I had never thought before about the origin of the name "Brazzaville."

2. If reports are to be believed about the chaos and violence currently occurring in the Congo region, it seems a shame that the so-called colonialists are not still there to maintain order and some semblance of justice. It seems that he was a better administrator than the current "leaders."

Just think of what a prosperous and happy place Africa could be today if it were still being guided by European nations.

Oh, well! No use dreaming!
youme
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:44:11 AM

Neurons: 1,793
The Congolese historian professor Théophile Obenga stated that in honoring de Brazza, the government disregarded salient information, including an account of de Brazza's rape of a Congolese woman passed down by oral tradition...
mangezi
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:32:32 PM

Neurons: 65,799
Renee Keith wrote:
Jesus comes in many forms.
___________________________ Africa would be happier with European leaders? That's a slap in the face for all Africans. What you call happiness is what our African forebearers fought as oppression or apartheid; it favored only the Europeans milking our continent dry and taking everything to the West while Africa starved. Some things are best if not said.

I am not a genius. I am just a tremendous bundle of experience - Richard Fuller.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:49:30 PM

muketah wrote:
Some things are best if not said.

Yes, some other members have told me the same thing when I have commented on other topics.***

I respect your opinion.

But I respectfully disagree.

I believe that all honest and sincere opinions should be allowed on a forum. "Forum" means a place for the exchange of ideas. Freedom of speech is a very important idea to Americans and Europeans.

It is a fact (not an opinion) that millions and millions of African people have died since independence. And they were killed by their own leaders and people.

James

*** Some members told me NOT to even ask about the status of women nowadays.
*** Some members told me NOT to say that the United States played a leading role in World Wars I and II.
*** Some members told me NOT to say that the American Civil War was not worth fighting.
*** Now you tell me NOT to say anything that displeases you.
youme
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:33:39 PM

You know... When things are made by europeans (I won't talk about white USA coz it's just a new born kid compared with all those old civilizations) those things are always given a nice name, that reminds me something in hollywood movies, a great movie indead "the godfather", an italian mafia that the only language it masters is the gun, to be safe everyone should sign a "protection" agreement with a mafia to protect him first from this mafia and the other mafias as well, and that's exactly the kind of peace europeans hope to see in Africa.
So it's something to do with considering the white race a superior one, and considering the others some kind of a sub-human type (including the woman that was like an object with no soul that belongs to the man in the old UK for example).
If those africans are only good in killing each others then maybe extinction would happen to them before they ever reach them and protect them.
The question is "are you really bothered with what happens thousands of miles away from you?"
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:27:45 PM

youme wrote:

The question is "are you really bothered with what happens thousands of miles away from you?"

Hello, Youme:

Probably the majority of Americans do not care about what happens "thousands of miles away."

But some Americans DO really care about:

1. the murders that occur daily in South Africa.
2. the massacres going on in the Congo region now.
3. the president of Kenya who is now on trial before the International Court of Justice.
4. the president of Zimbabwe who refuses to retire gracefully.
5. the unspeakable massacres that happened in Rwanda.

etc.

There is a certain Asian country that is interested in developing and buying Africa's natural resources. It is NOT interested in human rights. But many, many Europeans and Americans are REALLY interested in helping the African people to live a prosperous and peaceful life in a truly democratic setting. That is why they are SO sad to see what is going on in Africa nowadays.
youme
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:43:50 PM

Theparser if you think logically about democracy then those "some of the americans" should follow those "most of the americans who don't care" and leave africa alone, those african countries can solve their own problems by themselves, I guess those "some americans" also care about those "some minorities" killed in burma, and the palestinians killed by Israel, so let's update the meaning of some words in the freedictionary:
Salvation: is any act made by a white american or european towards other "types" of (humans).
Terrorism: any act made by those "types" that may disturb the white humans.
Democracy: a flexible policy that only white humans can define, provide and modify as suitable for their aims.
USA: a good example of salvation and what white humans can do to the natives of a country.
Guto André
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:02:57 PM

Neurons: 25,311

Why was he sent back to the Congo in 1905?

By 1905, stories were reaching Paris of injustice, forced labour and brutality by the Congo's new governor, Emile Gentil in laissez-faire conjunction with the new concession companies set up by the French Colonial Office and condoned by Auguoard, Catholic Bishop of the Congo. Brazza was sent to investigate and the resulting report was revealing and damning, in spite of many obstructions placed in his path.
Guto André
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:04:48 PM

Neurons: 25,311

Why was he sent back to the Congo in 1905?

By 1905, stories were reaching Paris of injustice, forced labour and brutality by the Congo's new governor, Emile Gentil in laissez-faire conjunction with the new concession companies set up by the French Colonial Office and condoned by Auguoard, Catholic Bishop of the Congo. Brazza was sent to investigate and the resulting report was revealing and damning, in spite of many obstructions placed in his path.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 4:37:24 AM

Thank you, Youme, for your note.

I know that you sincerely believe in your opinions.

Maybe when you become an old man like me, you will have changed some of your ideas.

Have a nice day!

James
youme
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:29:30 AM

Such a pity