The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Israeli Submarine Dakar Disappears without a Trace (1968) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,442
Israeli Submarine Dakar Disappears without a Trace (1968)

Israel bought the INS Dakar from the UK in 1965. The submarine departed for Israel on January 9, 1968, but disappeared en route with its entire crew. An international search mission yielded no answers. Over a year later, a fisherman found the stern emergency buoy marker from the Dakar on the coast of what is now the Gaza Strip, but further searches failed to turn up anything. The exact cause of the submarine's sinking remains unknown. Where and when was its wreckage finally found? More...
Vicki Holzknecht
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:23:00 AM

Neurons: 61,514
I always enjoy the "This Day in History"

However, Major Ra'anan seems to be a man that if he didn't get his way about things he would cut off his nose to spite himself. He was told he couldn't port early in Haifa so he decided to take his 69 members "off" the charts and possibly do a little bit of spying. Why else would he send 3 control transmissions without any location coordinates if Major Ra'anan didn't have a hidden agenda.

The Egyptians probably did see the Israeli Submarine in their waters lurking about with the periscope. Men that high of stature making careless decisions such as Ra'anan did and risking the lives of his crew he is nothing but a coward in my eyes. Ra'anan had no business taking the submarine off course, I'm sure there were plenty of exercises or drills the crew could have been performing to delay their arrival into Haifa early.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:29:49 PM

Neurons: 30,654
A sorrowful loss of life.

"Now" is the eternal present.
mangezi
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:00:44 PM

Neurons: 65,799
When and where was the submarine later found?

Despite extensive searches over the course of three decades, Dakar's wreckage was not found until 1999, when it was located between the islands of Cyprus and Crete.

I am not a genius. I am just a tremendous bundle of experience - Richard Fuller.
Guto André
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:23:25 PM

Neurons: 25,311
Where and when was its wreckage finally found?

Dakar's wreckage was not found until 1999, when it was located between the islands of Cyprus and Crete. A portion of the vessel was salvaged and is on display at the Naval Museum in Haifa. The exact cause of Dakar's sinking is not known.