The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"girls" - song translation. need your help please. Options
tchensa
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 2:33:22 AM

Neurons: 126
Dear All,

I have got a project in english to do. I chose to speak about songs which marked me when I was younger. For one of them, I need your help to be sure of my translation. It's a Beastie Boys' song, called " Girls" ( sorry it's a kinky song)

In bold, what I'm not sure to understand well, or need to have more information.

thank you in advance for your help

« Girls » - Beastie Boys
Girls - all I really want is girls
And in the morning it's girls
Cause in the evening it's girls

I like the way that they walk
And it's chill to hear them talk
And I can always make them smile
From White Castle to the Nile

Back in the day
There was this girl around the way
She liked by home-piece M.C.A. ----> Do you know what "M.C.A. could mean ?
He said he would not give her play
I asked him, "Please?" - he said, "You may."
Her pants were tight and that's ok
If she would dance - I would D.J.
We took a walk down to the bay

I hope she'll say, "Hey me and you should hit the hay!" ---> does it mean something like " go to bed " ?
I asked her out - she said, "No way!"
I should have probably guessed her gay ---> guess that she is lesbian?
So I broke North with no delay
I heard she moved real far away
That was two years ago this May
I seen her just the other day
Jockin' Mike D. to my dismay ----> who is Mike D., or what does this expression mean?

Girls - to do the dishes
Girls - to clean up my room
Girls - to do the laundry
Girls - and in the bathroom
Girls - that's all I really want is girls
Two at a time - I want girls
With new wave hairdos - I want girls
I ought to whip out my - girls, girls, girls, girls, girls! ---> i'm not sure but could it mean (sorry) show his penis without real "good" reason, just for the fun ( like young stupid boys could make it) ???

all your ideas & opinions will be usefull! thanks!
Jazzy
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:53:36 AM

Neurons: 388
Well, there was another post about Wicky that I just responded to, and that phrase was popular just about the time this song came out, so I’ll give it a whack!

She liked by home-piece M.C.A. ----> Do you know what "M.C.A. could mean ?

I think it may be ‘She liked MY home-piece’ meaning his male member. And back when the Beastie Boys were young, Em Cees (sp?) were the guys who did the rapping (like MC Hammer), so maybe it’s ‘MC hey’? So to translate the slang, he's telling someone who is a rapper that she liked his penis.

I hope she'll say, "Hey me and you should hit the hay!" ---> does it mean something like " go to bed " ?

Yes, hit the hay means go to bed, but it has a sexual overtone here.

I should have probably guessed her gay ---> guess that she is lesbian?

Yes, gay in this sense is referencing being lesbian. She turned him down, so he's looking for a reason why.

Jockin' Mike D. to my dismay ----> who is Mike D., or what does this expression mean?

Mike D. is either one of the Beastie Boys or one of their good friends that they always talked about. Then, in slang, ‘to be on one’s jock’ is to be making sexual advances toward someone, (usually used as in 'she's on my jock!')so they turned it into a verb.

I ought to whip out my - girls, girls, girls, girls, girls! ---> i'm not sure but could it mean (sorry) show his penis without real "good" reason, just for the fun ( like young stupid boys could make it) ???

I think that’s it! It definitely has sexual overtones as well.

Am I telling my age?
Discombobulated
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 7:57:27 AM

Neurons: 975
not sure about home-piece MCA but agreeing with Jazzy about the rest

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose - Woody Allen
Tmc
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:32:11 AM

Neurons: 128
just a quick check to Wikipedia and typing up Beastie Boys -> "The group comprises Michael 'Mike D' Diamond, Adam 'MCA' Yauch, and Adam 'Ad-Rock' Horovitz." This explains the Mike D and MCA aspects of your question. i'm pretty sure Jazzy got the rest right, except of the "home-piece" reference. if you read the verse, he's telling a story of a girl that the boy liked in past, "home-piece" is referring to his friend.

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is." ~ Bob Dylan
Jazzy
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:21:40 AM

Neurons: 388
Ahh... Makes sense!
tchensa
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:30:57 AM

Neurons: 126
thank you!

In the future, I will not choose a rap song ! ;-)
TYSON
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:27:38 PM

Neurons: 3,793
I love this song.

"Hey me and you should hit the hay!" ---> does it mean something like " go to bed " ?
yes

should have probably guessed her gay - I beleive it's 'guess her game' meaning her plan.

Jockin' Mike D. to my dismay - It's actually 'jackin' Mike D to my dismay. The term Jacking being slang for masturbating (as you said, it's a kinky song)Mike D is one of the Beastie Boys.

I think therefore I think I am
schreibe
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2009 10:06:37 AM

Neurons: 64
Looks like MCA is a moniker/nickname for one of the Beastie boys... Here's a short bio of the group:

Artist Bio
Beastie Boys is an American hip hop group from New York City. The group comprises Michael "Mike D" Diamond, Adam "MCA" Yauch, and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz. Since around the time of the Hello Nasty album, the DJ for the group has been Michael "Mix Master Mike" Schwartz, who was first featured in the song "Three MCs and One DJ". Beastie Boys began as a hardcore punk group in 1979, and appeared on the compilation cassette New York Thrash with Riot Fight and Beastie. They switched to hip-hop with the release of their 12" single "Cooky Puss", which was followed by a string of successful 12"...

This was taken from : http://www.lala.com/#artist/The_Beastie_Boys