The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Soviet Satellite Breaks Up upon Reentry, Scattering Nuclear Debris (1978) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,877
Soviet Satellite Breaks Up upon Reentry, Scattering Nuclear Debris (1978)

Cosmos 954 was a Soviet reconnaissance satellite that used radar to observe ocean traffic. It was launched in September 1977 and quickly began to experience problems. Within months, it had deviated from its designed orbit. A malfunction prevented the safe separation of its onboard nuclear reactor, so when the satellite reentered the Earth's atmosphere, it scattered radioactive debris over northern Canada, necessitating an extensive clean-up operation. How much did Canada bill the USSR for this? More...
Guto André
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 6:39:49 AM

Neurons: 25,311
For the recovery efforts, the Canadian government billed the Soviet Union $6,041,174.70 for actual expenses and additional compensation for future unpredicted expenses; the U.S.S.R. eventually paid the sum of C$3 million.
Christine
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 7:17:50 AM

Neurons: 15,842
litterbug!

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Professor
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 4:29:55 PM

Neurons: 42,160
It is interesting that we are not speaking about limits on the amount of debris and the amount of radioactive material a satellite may safely contain. I wonder who will be the first refuge recovery company in space?

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."