The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Bavarian writer, Andreas Altmann on Deutsche Welle t.v. Options
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:49:54 AM

Neurons: 311,977
I'm a bit of a Teutophile. In fact, a middle-aged Teutophile, who only speaks enough German to get laughed at by Germans!

Last night on DW, I watched an interesting interview about a Bavarian writer named Andreas Altmann. I set an alarm to watch it rebroadcast again today, and did.

http://www.dw.de/lifelines-andreas-altmann-the-rage-within/a-17258286

I think he is an interesting person, and would love to read his work. A cursory look on Amazon.com, however, yielded nothing translated into English. So, will I be learning to sprechen sie deutsche in order to learn more about herr Altmann?

If anyone can provide more information about the man, or his work, I would be grateful.

Danke schön!

CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:54:31 AM

Postscript: I believe he works with Piper Publishing House. A German company? I can find nothing about them via Google.
rogermue
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 8:18:56 AM

Neurons: 34,900
Hi Chevegas,

some links about the author Andreas Altmann.
First in German
Link de.wikipedia
Link: pictures
Link: Spiegel online

If you are interested in reading more websites there are still
8 more websites in German.

amazon.de has 6 books (in German) by Andreas Altmann
Link: amazon.de
Kindle editions (in German) are available.
But Amazon has no English translations.

IMcRout
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 9:55:42 AM

Neurons: 516,024
The link to Piper and let's not forget Herrn Altmanns homepage.

But I think you'll learn more and easier listening to and watching Deutsche Welle. Many of the news are global ones and it's easier for you to understand when you've already heard news about the same topic in your native language.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 12:04:25 PM

Thanks, gentlemen! Much appreciated.
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:39:30 AM

Actually, Google Translate does a fair job converting the "Life" section of his German Wikipedia article. If only I could acquire a digital copy of his "Shit Book," as his publisher refers to it (according to Altmann), I would convert the entire book with software. I sent him a direct e-mail; we'll see if he responds.

Deutsche-English translation (not bad!)...

"life

Altmann is the son of a long-established Altöttinger Devotionalienhändlers . After high school he studied from 1971 to 1974 at the Mozarteum in Salzburg. He then worked until 1979 , among other things as an actor at the Schauspielhaus in Vienna, where he appeared in Hamlet , and the Bavarian State Theatre in Munich.

In the late 1980s he began writing . First, he wrote travel reports for magazines such as Geo. Since about 1996 , he wrote mainly books. Since 1992 he is a writer living in Paris. He is unmarried.

After an eight -month stay in a Japanese Zen monastery , he threw out of his life and his home everything superfluous addition , especially the television. [1 ] He crossed several times the African continent , including once on the roof of a truck from Egypt to Cape Town. The United States, he went through the Greyhound , India by rail. About the people and situations he encountered there, he wrote his reports and books. It draws on Richard Dawkins' critique of religion and the bon mot of Karl Kraus Is there life before death ? in [1].

2011 came in the Piper Verlag his book entitled The shit my father's life , the shit my mother's life and my own shit youth out in the in-depth study with his childhood and youth in the Upper Bavarian pilgrimage Altötting. [2 ] [3 ]"
rogermue
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:13:53 AM

Neurons: 34,900
Interesting this enginge translation from German to English.
And as you say, really not bad for an engine translation. An interesting man, this Andreas Altmann.
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:43:28 AM

rogermue wrote:
Interesting this enginge translation from German to English.
And as you say, really not bad for an engine translation. An interesting man, this Andreas Altmann.

Google's free translator has improved immensely in the years since its introduction: http://translate.google.com/

American software programmers never cease to amaze me.