The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

One can't stay sad very long in such an interesting world, can one? Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
One can't stay sad very long in such an interesting world, can one?

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)
excaelis
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 12:27:25 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Yes

Sanity is not statistical
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 12:52:39 AM

Neurons: 336,895
10% of American adults use antidepressants.

I use India Pale Ale.
capitán
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 1:18:43 AM

Neurons: 23,124
Chevegas wrote:
10% of American adults use antidepressants.

I use India Pale Ale.

---
I tried that one last week and I gotta say it´s not my kind of drink.
---

And back to the quote of the day,
Ask these people http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhARXu3wWDc
Sadly, this is the reality.
Ray41
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 3:25:11 AM

Neurons: 45,980
There has been a huge decline in what one could call 'interesting' since 1942.

In spite of the ready availability of electronic entertainment and 'labour saving devices', ease of world travel, etc. the average person is losing interest in the more important values, such as family and personal relationships due to the pursuit of material possessions, and/or keeping the food on the table and a roof over ones head.

Only the wealthy may find this world so interesting that they suffer no sadness.Think

While I live I grow.
Luker4
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 3:42:16 AM

Neurons: 24,283
a little money, good relationship with others, some amount of succes and one should be happy Think

Now, where can I get those Think
abrar
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 4:21:16 AM

Neurons: 150
Well, it's possible to be happy and enjoy our existence here, just have to observe our thinking process? the fear of material loss is just a situation that every humanbeing experienced while being here and there is no denying the fact that it is important. It's just the way we are, if somebody experienced horror he could loose interest, and if someone experienced joy he/she remained interested. We all feel some kind of emptiness in us, the feel that we are not complete so always looked forward for something that is not in our experience/possession whatever. So, there is a need to define an individual goal, don't have to follow the whims & ongoing trends. Define yourself while being alive it's the choice we have??

I haven't given this privilege to anybody to make me happy or angry.....SADHGURU
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 4:53:32 AM

Neurons: 540,124
Ray41 wrote:
There has been a huge decline in what one could call 'interesting' since 1942.

In spite of the ready availability of electronic entertainment and 'labour saving devices', ease of world travel, etc. the average person is losing interest in the more important values, such as family and personal relationships due to the pursuit of material possessions, and/or keeping the food on the table and a roof over ones head.

Only the wealthy may find this world so interesting that they suffer no sadness.Think

Ray, I have to disagree with you on two points:
1. I know - and so must you - some people who are not wealthy yet they find the world so interesting that they suffer no sadness (other than the inevitable such as bereavement or loss - but that affects the wealthy in the same way). They love the world of nature and the joy of living with friends and neighbours and family. They are happy helping others less fortunate than themselves.

2. Family and personal relationships can and do suffer from the failure to pursue decent moral and behavioural standards. It seems to be all style and no substance today, creating a vacuum in peoples' hearts which no amount of tattoos, body piercings, cosmetics, fashion clothes, beer or pink gins can fill.

I remember, therefore I am.
Ray41
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 6:01:50 AM

Neurons: 45,980

Jacob, I cannot see much difference between what you wrote and, what I wrote.
I was generalising as the era in question was so much different to today, and, in many ways.

The period 1874 to 1942 would have been very interesting with the evolution of faster travel, progress in the necessities of life that made the average persons life less labour intensive, etc.....................(also no TV, so one had to travel to 'see' the 'such an interesting world'.

I was painting with a very wide brush when I used 'wealthy' which I also qualified with 'may'.Eh?

*2 virtually agrees with what I posted. Many people are not finding happiness even with all the subsequent progress, and, they find life dull and boring, therefore resorting to negative values to try and fulfil their 'sad' lives. The world is boring to many who see it only via the TV, and, what they see is, on the whole, sad as only 'bad news' makes it to the screen(and newspaper headlines).

I agree that one does not have to be wealthy to be happy, but, generally speaking, approximately 90% of the worlds population is virtually in survival mode, which makes it 'such an interesting world' only for the minority.

That is sad.

Lucy Maud Montgomery was speaking from a position of 'virtual' ignorance compared to the information that we have available today.Think

While I live I grow.
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 6:52:29 AM

Neurons: 248,663
Daemon wrote:

One can't stay in sadness very long cause then it has become depression. I find it interesting, sad to say.
Dr. Mohammed Albadri
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:13:28 AM

Neurons: 76,208
Satisfaction is the key to happiness , every thing would appear interesting if there is satisfaction that is the point .
pedro
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:51:28 AM

Neurons: 63,022
either that or death

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
jcbarros
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 8:04:06 AM

Neurons: 9,052
You can also easily leave that state (going directly to commit suicide).
Luker4
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 9:11:46 AM

Neurons: 24,283
A Teacher once said to me: "the key to happiness is to expect little from life."

it works! Dancing

I have a grumpy friend who always expects a lot and he is likely to be bitching that he thought it would be better, so he is rather unhappy.

EDIT: I came across this today http://www.businessinsider.com/why-people-are-unhappy-2013-7
Namkhang Le
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 9:55:33 AM

Neurons: 11,693
so true

"All is Fair in Love & War"
Marguerite
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 9:58:57 AM

Neurons: 23,973
There is always that seed of destruction that unravels every text and with Lucy Maud Montgomery her suicide belies her text.
mirilli
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 10:45:23 AM

Neurons: 1,554,961
Dr. Mohammed Albadri wrote:
Satisfaction is the key to happiness , every thing would appear interesting if there is satisfaction that is the point .

I agree.Applause Applause Applause
The most important thing is the perception that the world doesn't end with our skin.
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 12:01:07 PM

Follow-up studied to so-called "happiest nations" surveys suggest that low expectations contribute to happiness too. Sad, but (theoretically) true.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 1:56:17 PM

Neurons: 596,642

I agree there. One can work his fingers to the bone and still get no (not enough) satisfaction out of his work. Sunny lazy vacation but no fun: same there. Personally I would put it this way: they say the toughest thing in life is to climb the social ladder, but I say: the toughest thing in life is being honest with oneself (right on time).
Mr. Maker
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:00:35 PM

Neurons: 2,214
I believe it is still very possible to find interest and happiness in today's world. The problem is so much distracts and makes us overlook all the things that were, at one point, plain to see. I find my happiness in family, nature, hobbies, and sometimes even my work.

"Nine-tenths of wisdom is being wise in time." -Theodore Roosevelt
Mira
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 10:09:16 PM

Neurons: 85
I am of two minds on this one. On the one hand, I have known what it is to be fascinated by the world; this was a time when I was focused on the one thing that I loved - Broadway. From 16 on, I studied, practiced, performed and WAS a Broadway Baby. I imagine anyone who is consumed with what he loves feels that way even today when everything has become "virtual" and depersonalized.

Now the outside world has lost its luster for me. I'm near retirement age and can no longer live my love. I continue to be fascinated by all things, but now I experience them through reading history, the arts, literature and, of course, the internet. This is not an excuse, it is simply the way things are for me. If I could push myself past physical and mental pain to, once again, LIVE my greatest love, I am sure that I would regain some of the past joy that was so much a part of me.

So, I guess that I must come down on the side of the quote of the day. It's true. The ravages of time notwithstanding.
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 11:54:25 PM

Neurons: 245,854
Daemon wrote:

When one is a juvenile discovering the interesting world day by day, no, one can't stay sad very long, or shouldn't; unless one had lost the interest.
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:55:32 AM

Mira wrote:
...I studied, practiced, performed and WAS a Broadway Baby...

I assume you mean NYC? I was there one weekend 20 years ago. One of my "bucket list" trips is a week on Broadway. (I'd like to go while "The Book of Mormon" is playing!)

NYC is a great city for experiencing "history, the arts, literature." If that's where you are, I'm jealous! ;-)

Welcome to the TFD forums, Mira!
Sarah McCreanney
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:11:24 AM

Neurons: 53,233
Daemon wrote:

Nice sentiment, I believe that it is one's own interests that define how interesting the world is. That and the ability to develop and maintain those interests
Miriam...
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:31:16 AM

Neurons: 12,634
To Sarah: I thought your comment was very good. I'm glad you are a member on TFD. I would like to add that it is also what one 'sees', what one 'finds', in one's everyday life, and what what value to one's self one places on it.