The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Harbin Ice and Snow Festival Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
Harbin Ice and Snow Festival

This extravaganza of ice sculptures takes place from January 5 to February 4 in the port city of Harbin, the second largest city of northeast China, located in Heilongjiang Province. The sculptures, using themes of ancient legends and stories and modern historic events, depict pavilions, temples, and mythic animals and persons. Located in Zhaolin Park, they shimmer in the sun by day, and at night are illuminated in a rainbow of colors. Theatrical events, art exhibitions, and a photo exhibition mark festival time, and wedding ceremonies are often scheduled at this time in the ice-filled park. More...
Christine
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:53:27 AM

Neurons: 15,842
https://www.google.com/search?q=harbin+ice+and+snow+festival&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=R_LXUoCkMonprgGm24HoAw&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=605

wonderful pictures

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

striker
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 10:48:58 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
amazing detail
Dr WWWW
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 2:29:26 PM

Neurons: 10,072
I'm not sure whether I prefer to be married while freezing at a January ice festival or sweating profusely, as we were, in July. Nevertheless, it was a happy day.

"To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting." -- Edmund Burke
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 4:16:13 PM

Neurons: 2,539,917
I did a Google search too, & I agree. If ever there was an article in need of pictures, this is it!

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Dr WWWW
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 4:47:22 PM

Neurons: 10,072
Regarding NHF's impressive/beautiful pictures -- the construction crane seem to imply that this is serious business.

"To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting." -- Edmund Burke
L.Rai
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 7:53:18 PM

Neurons: 1,313,375
I live close to Harbin and I have been to the Ice Festival. It's a once in a lifetime event...well you could go many times if you like to freeze your **** off. The one time I went it was -40, and while it was breathtakingly beautiful, it was also too cold to get photos. Every time I wanted to snap a photo my camera would shut off due to the cold. I spent most of my time finding somewhere to duck indoors and take the chill off.

If you do venture to the frozen event be sure you plan well. During the day it's okay, but unless your idea of fun is sliding down sheets of ice, there's not much to see. At night however it's a fairy land. The best time is just at dusk and as night sets in. The lights come on and it's magical.

Wear warm shoes, gloves and of course other warm gear because it's very COLD. The cost of a ticket will include transportation to the event but not back to town. The Ice Festival is on Sun Island which is across the river from the main part of Harbin. When I attended the cost was 330RMB ($55) for a one day pass. There are plenty of wonderful things to do in Harbin during the day to pass the time, including the walking street in the Russian district, the St. Sophia church (a museum now) and the old Jewish Temple (also a museum). Hotels are not expensive and people in Harbin are nice and helpful.

I prefer visiting the city in the summer, but to experience this event at least once if you are in China is a must. TV and photos do not fully convey the sites. It's like Chinese New Year's in China...something that should be done at least once if you have the chance.

The Ice Festival usually runs from Jan until the end of Feb. Happy Travels!

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"