The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Eight Evil Thoughts Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,693
The Eight Evil Thoughts

Evagrius Ponticus struggled with adulterous desires and physical illness before devoting his life to Christianity, becoming an ascetic monk in 383 CE. Despite later accusations of heresy, Evagrius exerted a tremendous influence on the church through his writings and is best known for categorizing eight forms of temptation. These eight evil thoughts are gluttony, greed, sloth, sorrow, lust, anger, vainglory, and pride. Who later revised the list to form the more commonly known Seven Deadly Sins? More...
Anilineo
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:40:57 AM

Neurons: 12,153
“Certainly the most destructive vice if you like, that a person can have. More than pride, which is supposedly the number one of the cardinal sins - is self pity. Self pity is the worst possible emotion anyone can have. And the most destructive. It is, to slightly paraphrase what Wilde said about hatred, and I think actually hatred's a subset of self pity and not the other way around - ' It destroys everything around it, except itself '.

Self pity will destroy relationships, it'll destroy anything that's good, it will fulfill all the prophecies it makes and leave only itself. And it's so simple to imagine that one is hard done by, and that things are unfair, and that one is underappreciated, and that if only one had had a chance at this, only one had had a chance at that, things would have gone better, you would be happier if only this, that one is unlucky. All those things. And some of them may well even be true. But, to pity oneself as a result of them is to do oneself an enormous disservice.

I think it's one of things we find unattractive about the american culture, a culture which I find mostly, extremely attractive, and I like americans and I love being in america. But, just occasionally there will be some example of the absolutely ravening self pity that they are capable of, and you see it in their talk shows. It's an appalling spectacle, and it's so self destructive. I almost once wanted to publish a self help book saying 'How To Be Happy by Stephen Fry : Guaranteed success'. And people buy this huge book and it's all blank pages, and the first page would just say - ' Stop Feeling Sorry For Yourself - And you will be happy '. Use the rest of the book to write down your interesting thoughts and drawings, and that's what the book would be, and it would be true. And it sounds like 'Oh that's so simple', because it's not simple to stop feeling sorry for yourself, it's bloody hard. Because we do feel sorry for ourselves, it's what Genesis is all about.”
― Stephen Fry
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:55:52 AM

Neurons: 336,895
Stephen Fry...a class act!

Here's another class act, speaking of ancient lists. A man whose work I admire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9weXGtCk7c
Guto André
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:59:29 AM

Neurons: 25,311
Who later revised the list to form the more commonly known Seven Deadly Sins?

Some two centuries later in 590 AD, Pope Gregory I, "Pope Gregory The Great" would revise this list to form the more commonly known Seven Deadly Sins, where Pope Gregory the Great combined acedia (discouragement) with tristitia (sorrow), calling the combination the sin of sloth; vainglory with pride; and added envy to the list of "Seven Deadly Sins".
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:58:01 AM

Neurons: 22,062
I believe that some saints have said that if one can control one's appetite for food, then one can control anything else.

That seems to be a very wise observation.
Miriam...
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:36:50 AM

Neurons: 12,634
To Cheyevegas: Thank you for the link. Listening to Steven Fry, one some how feels--cleansed, refreshed, and free, released from the clenches of mental insanity.

To Mr. Parser: I think this is a true insight. I think this is why 'fasting' is often a requirement for many religious practices. I think this is also true about sex, and why 'abstinence' is part of the program as well.
Hope2
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:03:41 AM

Neurons: 16,769
Chevegas,

Excellent link! Thanks.

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
Absurdicuss
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:24:27 PM

Neurons: 30,361

"Now" is the eternal present.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:25:03 PM

I cannot rationally reject out of hand the sincere beliefs, or impugn the character of those with whom I ardently disagree.

CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:28:08 AM

Neurons: 336,895
Absurdicuss wrote:
I cannot rationally reject out of hand the sincere beliefs, or impugn the character of those with whom I ardently disagree.

It's unnecessary for you to do so; it's the job of facts, evidence, and reason to manage the task of rejecting and impugning.
SassQueenVee
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:10:05 PM

Neurons: 138
Who later revised the list to form the more commonly known "Seven Deadly Sins"?
It is imperative to understand the reason behind the categorization of tempatations. Evagrius believed that all sinful behaviour sprang from eight evil thoughts or temptations. The list which was complied in AD 375 was intended to serve a purpose of diagnosis namely: to help readers identify the process of temptation, their own strengths and weaknesses, and the remedies available for overcoming temptation.
The eight patterns of evil thought are gluttony, greed, sloth, sorrow, lust, anger, vainglory, and pride.
Some two centuries later in 590 AD, Pope Gregory I, "Pope Gregory The Great" revised this list to form the more commonly known Seven Deadly Sins, by combining acedia (discouragement) with tristitia (sorrow), calling the combination the sin of sloth; vainglory with pride; and added envy to the list of "Seven Deadly Sins".
Absurdicuss
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:11:27 PM

Cheve:

It's unnecessary for you to do so; it's the job of facts, evidence, and reason to manage the task of rejecting and impugning.

Be that as it may...or may not, as the following statement will set forth.

Facts and evidence are subject to interpretation in which it is possible for two rational, sincere, learned groups to present compelling reasoned arguments and reach conclusions so diametrically opposed that only one could possibly the correct.