The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

India Marks Three Years Polio-Free Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,798
India Marks Three Years Polio-Free

Since 1995, India has spent $2.5 billion on its campaign to eradicate polio, mobilizing millions to stamp out the crippling disease. Just a few years ago, hundreds of new polio cases were still being reported there each year, but in 2011, there was just one—the country's last. Three years have passed since polio was last seen in India, and the World Health Organization (WHO) is set to declare the nation polio-free in the coming months. The only countries where polio remains endemic are Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Nigeria. More...
Professor
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:18:47 AM

Neurons: 42,160
Daemon wrote:

Since 1995, India has spent $2.5 billion on its campaign to eradicate polio, mobilizing millions to stamp out the crippling disease. Just a few years ago, hundreds of new polio cases were still being reported there each year, but in 2011, there was just one—the country's last. Three years have passed since polio was last seen in India, and the World Health Organization (WHO) is set to declare the nation polio-free in the coming months. The only countries where polio remains endemic are Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Nigeria. More...

Rotary International, of which I am a member, is the leading international organization in the fight to eradicate polio from the world. As the article states only three (3) countries still have the polio virus. While in Afghanistan in 2011-12, I fought hard to convince the US government (medical PRT officials) to focus on polio eradication as it would be a lasting legacy and a testament to the good. In late 2012, we finally held a polio conference in Kandahar. We are making progress but more needs to be done in both Afghanistan and Pakistan.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
Guto André
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:13:42 AM

Neurons: 25,311
Diseases anywhere on the planet is also our problem, we should be alert to this.
mangezi
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:51:36 AM

Neurons: 65,799
Applause

I am not a genius. I am just a tremendous bundle of experience - Richard Fuller.
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:58:49 AM

Neurons: 87,603
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Congratulations to India!

This is a great and difficult achievement
, and given the risks from some of her neighbors who continue to have resistance to vaccination and relatively high levels of infection, the achievement is even more impressive.
Hope2
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:15:09 AM

Neurons: 16,769
I second the congratulations.

Also, Prof - congrats on being a Rotary International member and for the good work Rotary does.

I remember friends getting polio when I was a child, and how we couldn't go to the local swimming hole for fear of polio because of its devastating effects.

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
Christine
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:33:41 PM

Neurons: 15,842
Professor wrote:
Daemon wrote:

Rotary International, of which I am a member, is the leading international organization in the fight to eradicate polio from the world. As the article states only three (3) countries still have the polio virus. While in Afghanistan in 2011-12, I fought hard to convince the US government (medical PRT officials) to focus on polio eradication as it would be a lasting legacy and a testament to the good. In late 2012, we finally held a polio conference in Kandahar. We are making progress but more needs to be done in both Afghanistan and Pakistan.

I applaud you.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)