The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Benin National Vodoun Day Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,442
Benin National Vodoun Day

Vodoun is an ancient, African, pantheistic religion. When it was brought to the Americas by African slaves, it was blended with elements of Christianity into what is known as "Voodoo." The present African country of Benin, situated on the former kingdom of Dahomey, is known as a center of Vodoun culture. The day is celebrated throughout Benin with processions, Vodoun rituals, dances, and even an international film festival. The celebration's central activity, however, is the re-enactment of the journey from the slave auction block in the center of town to the ships in the harbor. More...
Absurdicuss
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 7:55:32 AM

Neurons: 30,654
New Orleans, Louisiana, one of the oldest cities in the USA and my hometown is deeply rooted in voodoo.

Hypnotic ritual dancing to pounding drums and bloody entrails...yeah, that's good family fun.

"Now" is the eternal present.
Guto André
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 8:46:45 AM

Neurons: 25,311
It remember me the movie "Skeleton key", same sensation.
Chaireas
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 11:50:07 AM

Neurons: 68,479
Absurdicuss wrote:
New Orleans, Louisiana, one of the oldest cities in the USA and my hometown is deeply rooted in voodoo.

Hypnotic ritual dancing to pounding drums and bloody entrails...yeah, that's good family fun.

Does it have any practical consequences noticeable in the society or is it something mostly cherished for tourism purposes?
Absurdicuss
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 9:58:08 PM

Neurons: 30,654
Quoting Chaireas:

Does it have any practical consequences noticeable in the society or is it something mostly cherished for tourism purposes?

Hey Chair. Can I call you Chair?

The voodoo element and reputation adds an exotic, darkly mysterious flavor to the city. The old "French Quarter", the original footprint of the city, remains largely intact and is replete with odd little shops tucked away on narrow streets where voodoo "supplies" may be acquired.

The New Orleans Saints professional American Football team used to have a local voodoo queen bless the games. Must have been a case of bad karma at work because Saints fans (like me) suffered through 22 consecutive losing seasons.

So they hire a new coach, Sean Payton, who bans the voodoo queen's blessing and they win the championship and have been one of the elite teams since 2007.

Go figure.

Cheers,Abs

"Now" is the eternal present.