The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Fukuzawa Yukichi (1835) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
Fukuzawa Yukichi (1835)

Japanese author, educator, and publisher Fukuzawa Yukichi grew up during a tumultuous time in Japan, as Western powers began infiltrating the country and the Japanese people's hostility toward the ruling shogunate grew. Fukuzawa—who was intrigued by the West—traveled to the US on a diplomatic mission in 1860 and afterward became involved in Japan's Meiji Restoration, which restored the emperor to power and rapidly modernized the country. What is considered Fukuzawa's most important contribution? More...
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 4:39:41 AM

Neurons: 335,065
I like this guy! ::bookmarked::
TheParser
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 6:49:16 AM

Neurons: 22,062
I had never heard of Fukuzawa-san until I read that article.

According to my American history books, the American government and people began to respect Japan and the Japanese people after individuals such as Fukuzawa-san were able to modernize Japan in order to avoid what had happened to weak China (where factions were constantly fighting one another).

Here in the United States, there was much discrimination against the Chinese, but the American government showed much more respect toward the Japanese, for they had a strong government behind them. (One American movie star in the days of silent movies was Japanese!)

I think that in the late 19th century and in the early 20th century, many patriotic Chinese looked to Japan as a role model -- an Asian power that successfully stood up to the European powers.

Absurdicuss
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 7:46:05 AM

Neurons: 30,144
huh

"Now" is the eternal present.
Guto André
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 8:41:48 AM

Neurons: 25,311
Fukuzawa's most important contribution to the reformation effort, though, came in the form of a newspaper called Jiji Shinpo (時事新報, "Current Events"), which he started in 1882, after being prompted by Inoue Kaoru, Ōkuma Shigenobu, and Itō Hirobumi to establish a strong influence among the people through publishing.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 9:04:25 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Guto André wrote:
Fukuzawa's most important contribution to the reformation effort, though, came in the form of a newspaper.

I have heard that the Japanese people (unlike many Americans) still like PRINT newspapers, which have subscribers in the millions.

I have also heard that Japanese newspapers tend to be very respectful and careful in their editorials.

Some people charge, however, that Japanese newspapers are tied too close to both government and big business.

Wittes
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 4:19:17 PM

Neurons: 636

it is the first time I read about him but he proves to be a great man.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 10:25:38 PM

Neurons: 30,144
Welcome to the forums Wittes!!!

"Now" is the eternal present.