The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:00:00 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/7/2009
Posts: 29,025
Neurons: 86,253
Location: Inside Farlex computers
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
abrar
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:46:25 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 4/14/2010
Posts: 35
Neurons: 150
Basically, the evil & good is not as we are trying to project it, it is always about one person's belief and another person's belief. At the same time, yes, people can identify evil which is not beneficial for human beings.

I haven't given this privilege to anybody to make me happy or angry.....SADHGURU
dr koray
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:51:55 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/20/2011
Posts: 134
Neurons: 4,251
Location: Abuja, Abuja Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria
I could not get the meaning of the quotation. Could anyone kindly explain?.

I came to the market from the womb; I bought a shroud, turned back to the tomb
dr koray
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:58:09 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/20/2011
Posts: 134
Neurons: 4,251
Location: Abuja, Abuja Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria
dr koray wrote:
I could not get the meaning of the quotation. Could anyone kindly explain?.


Especially, the meaning of "hacking"

I came to the market from the womb; I bought a shroud, turned back to the tomb
Ray41
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:58:39 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/9/2010
Posts: 1,943
Neurons: 45,980
Location: Orange, New South Wales, Australia
We had Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862) not so long ago.

My only comment, now, is that, in reading about the history of people from the 1800's, just how many succumbed to tuberculosis.
We do have a so much to be thankful for in this day and age regarding all the preventative discoveries that are applied/used to ensure our continuing good health and longevity.


While I live I grow.
Ray41
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:16:54 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/9/2010
Posts: 1,943
Neurons: 45,980
Location: Orange, New South Wales, Australia
dr koray wrote:
dr koray wrote:
I could not get the meaning of the quotation. Could anyone kindly explain?.


Especially, the meaning of "hacking"


Hacking is basically 'chopping'(as with an axe).
What the quotation means that instead of attacking evil at the roots(as in a tree, which would kill the tree, and, all the evil) there are thousands that are only attacking the branches(only keeping the evil contained).

There is an expression used, 'the root cause' which loosely means the 'origin of'.


http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/root+cause

Root cause

A root cause is an initiating cause of a causal chain which leads to an outcome or effect of interest. Commonly, root cause is used to describe the depth in the causal chain where an intervention could reasonably be implemented to change performance and prevent an undesirable outcome.

In plain English a "root cause" is a "cause" (harmful factor) that is "root" (deep, basic, fundamental, underlying or the like).

The term root cause has been used in professional journals as early as 1905.[1]

Paradies would define a root cause as follows: "The most basic cause (or causes) that can reasonably be identified that management has control to fix and, when fixed, will prevent (or significantly reduce the likelihood of) the problem’s recurrence."


While I live I grow.
dr koray
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:40:21 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/20/2011
Posts: 134
Neurons: 4,251
Location: Abuja, Abuja Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria
Ray41 wrote:
dr koray wrote:
dr koray wrote:
I could not get the meaning of the quotation. Could anyone kindly explain?.


Especially, the meaning of "hacking"


Hacking is basically 'chopping'(as with an axe).
What the quotation means that instead of attacking evil at the roots(as in a tree, which would kill the tree, and, all the evil) there are thousands that are only attacking the branches(only keeping the evil contained).

There is an expression used, 'the root cause' which loosely means the 'origin of'.


http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/root+cause

Root cause

A root cause is an initiating cause of a causal chain which leads to an outcome or effect of interest. Commonly, root cause is used to describe the depth in the causal chain where an intervention could reasonably be implemented to change performance and prevent an undesirable outcome.

In plain English a "root cause" is a "cause" (harmful factor) that is "root" (deep, basic, fundamental, underlying or the like).

The term root cause has been used in professional journals as early as 1905.[1]

Paradies would define a root cause as follows: "The most basic cause (or causes) that can reasonably be identified that management has control to fix and, when fixed, will prevent (or significantly reduce the likelihood of) the problem’s recurrence."




I'd like to say "hmm, I got the gist,but unfortunately I could not. Does it mean that we can not (should not) destroy the entire system in order to get rid of evil? We can cope with by removing smaller things.

Thanks.

I came to the market from the womb; I bought a shroud, turned back to the tomb
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:21:58 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/19/2013
Posts: 467
Neurons: 336,895
Location: Cheboygan, Michigan, United States
dr koray wrote:
I could not get the meaning of the quotation. Could anyone kindly explain?.


I think he's talking about a bush. Then again, it could be Cheney.
Ray41
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:23:09 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/9/2010
Posts: 1,943
Neurons: 45,980
Location: Orange, New South Wales, Australia
Quote:
I'd like to say "hmm, I got the gist, but unfortunately I could not. Does it mean that we can not (should not) destroy the entire system in order to get rid of evil? We can cope with by removing smaller things.

No, just the opposite.

What it means is that we are not getting rid of evil at its source, we are only dealing with the results of the evil that spreads from that source.

For example, if we target drug dealers,(distributers) then, we are only catching the 'branches' when we should be targeting the roots, which are the growers/manufacturers (source).

Get rid of the growers/manufacturers (hack off the roots), then the branches will die, so, no more drug dealers.

Henry David Thoreau is saying that too many people are hacking at the branches, and, not enough are hacking at the roots.


While I live I grow.
Guto André
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:42:08 AM

Rank: Member

Joined: 12/24/2013
Posts: 262
Neurons: 25,311
Location: Vila Velha, Espirito Santo, Brazil
Oxala if we learned to cut the evil's root.
thar
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:48:03 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 20,655
Neurons: 83,484
Ray41 wrote:


For example, if we target drug dealers,(distributers) then, we are only catching the 'branches' when we should be targeting the roots, which are the growers/manufacturers (source).

Get rid of the growers/manufacturers (hack off the roots), then the branches will die, so, no more drug dealers.

Henry David Thoreau is saying that too many people are hacking at the branches, and, not enough are hacking at the roots.[/color]


I read it as taking it one step further
there are many people tackling the branches - the visible manifestations of evil (be that drug dealers or drug producers, whatever) and not enough tackling the invisible foundation -
eg the reasons why people seek drugs, or pruduce them, the poverty, the lack of humanity, lack of confidence in society

That is not a comment on drugs, I am just trying to say I read it as the roots which are not only invisible but spread out everywhere, - one step further down than the base of the tree!
But maybe I am being more literal in my biological interpretation. (And of course, as ever with these things, they all mean exactly what they mean to individual people!)
doxallday
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:02:15 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 12/16/2013
Posts: 26
Neurons: 50,711
Location: Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
This quote engulfs the source of most problems impeccably.

I've understood it thus: One of the greatest fears of humans is denial, hence those axing the branches were keeping the evil (from creeping onto their doorstep) temporarily, i.e. egocentric route. Meanwhile a heroic lad identified the root and assayed to exterminate this vile for all members of community - altruistic route.

Henry Thoreau receives posthumously accolades for best quotes by male (in my little book titled 'Subjective ramblings')
Chaireas
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:10:41 AM

Rank: Member

Joined: 12/16/2013
Posts: 270
Neurons: 68,479
Location: Lund, Skane, Sweden
Chevegas wrote:
dr koray wrote:
I could not get the meaning of the quotation. Could anyone kindly explain?.


I think he's talking about a bush. Then again, it could be Cheney.


Lol. Applause
Professor
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:52:21 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/9/2009
Posts: 227
Neurons: 42,160
Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States
Daemon wrote:
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)


Hacking at the branches of evil, is metaphorically referring to a growing tree with many branches that all come from the root (the root of all evil). It is rare that one can kill a tree simply by cutting (hacking) off the branches, we must kill the tree at the root. He is saying that our energy is misplaced and that only a small number are truly focused on the root of evil. I think this is true because we rarely ask the "five" whys when we address a problem and as such we never get down to the true root-cause and only attack the symptoms (the branches of the tree) instead of the root of a problem.



"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:28:34 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/26/2013
Posts: 2,981
Neurons: 254,408
Location: Minsk, Minskaya Voblasts', Belarus
Hacking at the branches is keep people busy and level unemployment - low. Certainly there's worse thing in this world than hacking evil wrong way.
KentFlanagan
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:26:46 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 4/6/2009
Posts: 14
Neurons: 13,624
Location: Franklin, Tennessee, United States
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)



The analogy of a plant, such as a tree, to evil is clear. If 1,000 hack or cut away at the branches, the tree may grow new branches to replace those lost. But cutting at the root of the tree will kill the tree.
Abdelkrim
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:03:08 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 5/1/2011
Posts: 37
Neurons: 114,418
Location: New York City, New York, United States
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

If we really want to tackle evil and eradicate, uproot it's source we should go straight to the root of evil.
Johnas Mahero
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:36:18 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 1/9/2014
Posts: 5
Neurons: 893
Location: Mombasa, Kenya
In other words, the quote can be said as having a lot of people who are concerned about and tackle the "symptoms" of an ailment while only a few tackle the ailment.
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:38:32 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/3/2012
Posts: 2,144
Neurons: 245,969
Johnas Mahero wrote:
In other words, the quote can be said as having a lot of people who are concerned about and tackle the "symptoms" of an ailment while only a few tackle the ailment.


Yes, well said. But actually the ailment goes deeper than that if you considered what Thoreau wrote in "Walden", just a little further :

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root, and it may be that he who bestows the largest amount of time and money on the needy is doing the most by his mode of life to produce that misery which he strives in vain to relieve."
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.