The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I don't think, sir, you have a right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 71,946
I don't think, sir, you have a right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.

Charlotte Bronte (1816-1855)
Chaireas
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:30:38 AM

Neurons: 68,479
Daemon wrote:
I don't think, sir, you have a right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.

Great quote by the grand Brontë
Professor
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:48:01 AM

Neurons: 41,129
Chaireas wrote:
Daemon wrote:

It is so true, I see it everyday, people who have no life to speak of. In this world, there is never enough time to do anything, one must make time for the things that are important in life. The meaning of life is to give life meaning--there is no other purpose.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
Absurdicuss
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:02:20 AM

Neurons: 29,776
Daemon wrote:

This superior use of time and experience is not to be taken lightly. Although it is no cause for mistreating another it is clear that some use their time more wisely than others thus attaining superiority in a given field.

It's a good thing that a few of our pioneering primate ancestors decided to use their time discovering better ways to do things or else we'd all, theoretically, still be foragers and scavengers...according to my understanding of evolutionary theory.

"Now" is the eternal present.
Chaireas
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:03:37 AM

Neurons: 68,479
Professor wrote:
Chaireas wrote:
Daemon wrote:

It is so true, I see it everyday, people who have no life to speak of. In this world, there is never enough time to do anything, one must make time for the things that are important in life. The meaning of life is to give life meaning--there is no other purpose.

Well, I do not agree with that. I think many come to find a meaning to life outside of their own imparting of meaning to things, relations, or the like.
abrar
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:50:03 AM

Neurons: 143
There are so many factors if have time to look at it, well there is no other way to look at the world besides your own eyes and mind, so personal experience counts, but at the same time we take inspirations from surroundings and inspirations always comes from outside not inside.

I haven't given this privilege to anybody to make me happy or angry.....SADHGURU
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:35:22 AM

Neurons: 402,001
Yes, respect has to be earned.

I remember, therefore I am.
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:17:43 PM

Neurons: 171,529
Daemon wrote:

Experience and difference in age don't count, but money - do. Surprise!

>> "Humph! Promptly spoken. But I won't allow that, seeing that it would never suit my case, as I have made an indifferent, not to say a bad, use of both advantages. Leaving superiority out of the question, then, you must still agree to receive my orders now and then, without being piqued or hurt by the tone of command. Will you?"

I smiled: I thought to myself Mr. Rochester is peculiar — he seems to forget that he pays me 30 pounds per annum for receiving his orders.
Marguerite
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:37:33 PM

Neurons: 23,973
So authority to speak is predicated on deeds and not on station or wealth.
pedro
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 5:33:39 AM

Neurons: 60,594
Daemon wrote:

Not a quote to use at job interviews

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:10:41 PM

Neurons: 242,792
Daemon wrote:

Merely falling in love with the older man will change all that for Jane; but the claim to superiority does not merely depend on the use,
rather on the gains one has made of one's time and experience.