The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Meditate the Pain Away Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 87,948
Meditate the Pain Away

Proponents of meditation say that it can have a measurable benefit on the psyche, and the data seem to support this. A meta-analysis of 47 studies finds moderate evidence that mindfulness meditation can help treat anxiety, depression, and pain and low evidence of stress reduction and improvement to overall mental health. In fact, when it comes to depression, mindfulness meditation appears to be as effective as antidepressants. More...
capitán
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:51:12 AM

Neurons: 25,341
Qi Gong

I have studied, trained, martial arts for a couple of years now, but not until recently have I discovered Qi Gong. I also practice parkour and I have learned through experience that the human body can perform things that might look impossible to the majority of people, especially to those who haven't disciplined the body rigorously on a daily basis. I know now that taking a fall of 3-4 meters and end up as if nothing happened is possible, just as climbing vertical walls of up to 5 meters in mere seconds is also possible.

So when I started reading about meditation and the power of human energy running through the body, it didn't sound crazy at all to me. Now I have a couple of months practicing it and I feel I am different now. Of course, I did a little research on it first, only to find out through practice that it truly works, at least on the basic levels. Naturally, I will have to practice it for years to finally discover the truths and the myths about it, but there's only one way to know, right?

What do you think about meditation, the Qi and the cure for illness through Qi Gong?

PS
There's a video of what the human body can do just with a little bit of honing through physical training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO0bA1tbhe8

There's also the videos from the shaolin monks but since my experience comes from parkour and less sophisticated martial arts than shaolin kung fu, I attached a parkour video. Of course, this also takes some serious metal work, but imagine what we could achieve by adding some meditation and the efficient use of the Qi in our bodies!

ithink140
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:28:43 AM

Neurons: 17,922
Can I meditate an increase in my bank balance?
Hope2
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:18:13 AM

Neurons: 16,769
Meditation does help to calm oneself. But as an analgesic, it all depends upon what is causing the pain, and how severe it is.

No sense putting salve on a sore on your foot until you remove the nail in your shoe.
mirilli
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:32:57 AM

Neurons: 1,632,775
Hope2 wrote:
Meditation does help to calm oneself. But as an analgesic, it all depends upon what is causing the pain, and how severe it is.

No sense putting salve on a sore on your foot until you remove the nail in your shoe.

Very goog answer!Applause Applause Applause
GreenBanana
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:24:29 PM

Neurons: 20,818
So basically all pain is psychosomatic. Thanks, solipsism! Or is this some kind of retro New Age thing to boost a niche failed sector of the economy, because everyone's a born-again Capitalist these days?
Absurdicuss
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:40:50 PM

Neurons: 30,654
I've submitted this post to earn spoon points but sure have enjoyed reading your posts..especially yours Hope..and GB's.