The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Women ... have more power for good or evil than they dream of. Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 64,344
Women ... have more power for good or evil than they dream of.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 1:25:18 AM

Neurons: 122,564
And that's exactly why women deserve more attention from its main adversaries - men. Just fooling around with or without...
Chaireas
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 2:40:37 AM

Neurons: 68,479
Daemon wrote:

Well, that is true of humankind in general, I would say.
Professor
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 2:51:18 AM

Neurons: 38,558
Chaireas wrote:
Daemon wrote:

It is interesting the power women deserve. While serving in Afghanistan, I heard a quote that was very true. "If you educate a son,you have an educated man but when you educate a woman, you gain an educated family. Women for the longest time have been looked upon as somehow different than men but in the end, women are (in general) harder workers, more dedicated to their family and are better role models for humanity. A woman in my Rotary Club once commented, when the chapter president acknowledged that women were not allowed in the club before 1985, "How on earth did you get anything done." They are real doers....

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 6:17:14 AM

Neurons: 467,697
Yes, dear.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
PCNL
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 6:54:36 AM

Neurons: 268,238
Chaireas wrote:

Yes, I agree that the potential of "good and bad" is preprogrammed in each person, with no difference of sex. If we consider that this life on earth is just an exam or a test, that is what all religions preach, we will be judged and rewarded on which potential we have used the most,the good or the bad.
MelancholicRobot
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:31:13 AM

Neurons: 4,524
Professor wrote:

"If you educate a son,you have an educated man but when you educate a woman, you gain an educated family."

we have the same quote in India as well.

Chaireas wrote:

This is very true...I mean there are a number of us of on this Earth who think we are weak or incapable but the truth is we can accomplish so much more than we think we can.
Christine
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:55:46 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
http://books.google.com/books?id=CXlVxNYSHZQC&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=what+book+by++Jerome+K.+Jerome++this+is+from+Women+...+have+more+power+for+good+or+evil+than+they+dream+of.?&source=bl&ots=1m5t4Hu5wY&sig=3Ct4TZuyiJIhgLFnbto0u3tRp1w&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rHDJUvr8MO_IsAThgoLoDQ&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=what%20book%20by%20%20Jerome%20K.%20Jerome%20%20this%20is%20from%20Women%20...%20have%20more%20power%20for%20good%20or%20evil%20than%20they%20dream%20of.%3F&f=false

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 10:02:49 AM

Neurons: 144,725
Hi Christine, can you correct or delete that link, please?

It just leads to every time the word "what" is mentioned in the book - not to the quote itself.

Thanks.

This is the link you wanted QUOTE

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Marguerite
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:22:11 AM

Neurons: 23,973
Why do men in a patriarchy consistently say that women have power? Is it a subtle way of putting women down for their lack of initiative of grabbing what isn't there?
RuthP
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:28:04 AM

Neurons: 33,278
Christine wrote:
Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
http://books.google.com/books?id=CXlVxNYSHZQC&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=what+book+by++Jerome+K.+Jerome++this+is+from+Women+...+have+more+power+for+good+or+evil+than+they+dream+of.?&source=bl&ots=1m5t4Hu5wY&sig=3Ct4TZuyiJIhgLFnbto0u3tRp1w&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rHDJUvr8MO_IsAThgoLoDQ&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=what%20book%20by%20%20Jerome%20K.%20Jerome%20%20this%20is%20from%20Women%20...%20have%20more%20power%20for%20good%20or%20evil%20than%20they%20dream%20of.%3F&f=false

Google Books; let's see if Christine's link works

It appears to work. There is often trouble pasting very long links, e.g. Google search results, directly into a post. Using the link button that's available when you seems to hold them together better.

The link button is not available with a "quick reply" field.
Pedro Rubini
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:52:17 AM

Neurons: 3,531
I agree that BOTH men and women have more power for good or evil than they dream of, but as of lately we have been seeing how powerful women, in particular, can be, and a lot of sophistry is being broken down. I argue that men and women ARE different, and it can be very easily acknowledged by just looking at the distinctions in their physical structure, but the idea that certain roles are more appropriate for men than women or vice versa is questionable and leaves room for debate. I know that's not really the point here, whether women or men can do this or that better than one another, but it's an interesting topic also.

The power to do good or bad, in my opinion, is evidently real and applies to all of humankind.

It's also encouraging to think that the power we have goes beyond our comprehension, especially if we intend to do good!
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 4:10:48 PM

Neurons: 219,399
Daemon wrote:

....and their power, the turning or twisting force it puts out-- far from an idle thought--becomes motion, or heat, or light, whatever,
as men coupled to it convert that power. I am not sure if we always get the best use out of "the conversion", with men trusted at the controls, so to speak. Think

The quotation comes from "The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow", On Being in Love:
""We want to think of women not—as their own sex would show them—as Lorleis luring us to destruction, but as good angels beckoning us upward. They have more power for good or evil than they dream of. It is just at the very age when a man's character is forming that he tumbles into love, and then the lass he loves has the making or marring of him. Unconsciously he molds himself to what she would have him, good or bad. I am sorry to have to be ungallant enough to say that I do not think they always use their influence for the best. Too often the female world is bounded hard and fast within the limits of the commonplace.""
Hope2
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 7:11:33 PM

Neurons: 16,769
Daemon wrote:

Of course we do!

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
kristinann
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 8:25:39 PM

Neurons: 287
Why do women have such a powerful influence to spread goodness or perpetuate evil? My thoughts as a woman: our ability to procreate and carry on life by birthing new human beings is an incredible power and responsibility; we have the power to effect the future through our sons and daughters, teaching them, training them, nurturing them to grow and learn...To choose good for our posterity means choosing life for them...As women, with such great power and potential in our unborn children, what do we choose for them, life or death, good or evil?
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 2:22:52 PM

Neurons: 219,399
Daemon wrote:

Some men flatter themselves by thinking that they are the instruments of such power and a little may rub off on them.