The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Curiosity is natural to the soul of man, and interesting objects have a powerful influence on our affections. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Curiosity is natural to the soul of man, and interesting objects have a powerful influence on our affections.

John Filson (1747-1788)
IMcRout
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 5:26:52 AM

Neurons: 563,379
And he found that out in the 18th century? Well, d'uh. d'oh!

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Franklyn Wesley
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 6:47:16 AM

Neurons: 7,175
good one
Absurdicuss
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 7:45:34 AM

Neurons: 30,654
I like shiny things.

"Now" is the eternal present.
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 8:43:10 AM

Neurons: 254,408
Curiosity is natural for survival of human beings, as well as paws and claws for survival of animals. We simply don't have any choice. Is the presidential couple will eventually divorce? Does Santa Claus exist? Sorry, can't help it.
DarkMoon
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 10:21:38 AM

Neurons: 46,684
Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back. Lucky cat, at least it has nine lives for it.

Curiosity on Mars did well, though.
Lucy Yang
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 11:44:47 AM

Neurons: 8,895
I think this applies to interesting people as well. While we may be quick to dismiss some people we encounter in our daily lives as one-dimensional/simple, we are consistently intrigued by people and characters whose motives/thoughts/actions we don't understand. For example, take Sherlock Holmes.
userpinkie777
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 1:35:49 PM

Neurons: 38,663
Reminds me of a song entitled "Things That Make You Go Hmmmmm". I like!Think
Absurdicuss
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:40:51 PM

Neurons: 30,654
Greetings to Pinkie..an almost homie from the G Coast...Big easy native here, Pink. Pleased to make your acquaintance. Welcome.
Lucy Yang, hello and welcome to the forum.

I hope you find much enjoyment and interest in these forums.

"Now" is the eternal present.
MTC
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:04:49 AM

Neurons: 8,606

The Adventures of Colonel Daniel Boon by John Filson

Curiosity is natural to the soul of man, and interesting objects have a powerful influence on our affections. Let these influencing powers actuate, by the permission or disposal of Providence, from selfish or social views, yet in time the mysterious will of Heaven is unfolded, and we behold our conduct, from whatsoever motives excited, operating to answer the important designs of heaven. Thus we behold Kentucke, lately an howling wilderness, the habitation of savages and wild beasts, become a fruitful field; this region, so favourably distinguished by nature, now become the habitation of civilization, at a period unparalleled in history, in the midst of a raging war, and under all the disadvantages of emigration to a country so remote from the inhabited parts of the continent. Here, where the hand of violence shed the blood of the innocent; where the horrid yells of savages, and the groans of the distressed, sounded in our ears, we now hear the praises and adoration of our Creator; where wretched wigwams stood, the miserable abodes of savages, we behold the foundations of cities laid, that, in all probability, will rival the glory of the greatest upon earth. And we view Kentucke situated on the fertile banks of the great Ohio, rising from obscurity to shine with splendor, equal to any other of the stars of the American hemisphere.

(http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/John_Filson/The_Adventures_of_Colonel_Daniel_Boone/The_Adventures_of_Colonel_Daniel_Boon_p1.html)

The "interesting object" Frison spoke of which has excited the curiosity of men (in this case Europeans) is the North American continent. The philosophy he espouses is "Manifest Destiny a phrase which invoked the idea of divine sanction for the territorial expansion of the United States."

(http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h337.html)