The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Huldrych Zwingli (1484) Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,850
Huldrych Zwingli (1484)

Zwingli was a Swiss theologian who championed the Reformation in Switzerland. Inspired by his studies rather than a crisis of faith, he challenged the ritualism, decadence, and hierarchy of the Catholic Church, and his stance on the sacrament of communion brought him into conflict with both Martin Luther and the Church. After a Zurich council approved many of his proposals, organs were destroyed, priests were allowed to wed, and the liturgy was simplified. In what 1531 battle was Zwingli killed? More...
userpinkie777
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:36:27 AM

Neurons: 38,663
Why were organs destroyed after a Zurich council approved of many of Huldrych Zwingli's proposals?
IMcRout
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 12:24:56 PM

Neurons: 563,379
Welcome to the forums, Pinkie Lee Davis.

Just to make this clear, we are talking about musical instruments here, not human organs.

Zwingli did not want images in his church and he did not want music, either. Nothing was to distract from practising their faith, praying and holding service.

That is why he had the organs destroyed.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Cat
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 12:45:39 PM

Neurons: 194,017
Though I agree with some of the reforms he preached, I take serious issue with the punishment of death to those who disagreed with his reforms. How did he justify death as a punishment? I cannot imagine Jesus responding in such a way. At least the Jesus reflected in the bible.

Seize the day; think of all those women on the Titanic who waved away dessert. – Erma Bombeck
Guto André
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 3:46:09 PM

Neurons: 25,311
And we, the innocent, thinking that the simplification of faith is something of our age. It comes from longtime uncomplicate what should always have been simple.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:49:50 PM

Neurons: 30,654
Quoting Cat:

Though I agree with some of the reforms he preached, I take serious issue with the punishment of death to those who disagreed with his reforms. How did he justify death as a punishment? I cannot imagine Jesus responding in such a way. At least the Jesus reflected in the bible.

Broadly and simplistically speaking: Isn't it ironic that Christianity has seen so much blood shed by factions warring over who's right about going to heaven?

The historic witness of people willing to kill one another, over who's right about who Jesus was and what He said has been a vivid stain on His message of redemptive and sacrificial love.

God forgive us for failing to love as He.

"Now" is the eternal present.
Miriam...
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:10:16 AM

Neurons: 12,634
Thank you, Absurdicuss, for your sentiments.