The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Emancipation Proclamation Is Formally Issued (1863) Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,100
The Emancipation Proclamation Is Formally Issued (1863)

Though this edict, issued by US President Abraham Lincoln while the country was embroiled in a bloody civil war, was largely a symbolic gesture and did not actually end slavery, it was a major step on the road to abolition and sent a clear message about the Union's stance on the matter. The proclamation—which was almost entirely the work of Lincoln himself—declared free all slaves living in areas still engaged in revolt against the Union. What officially ended slavery in the US? More...
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 7:59:08 AM

Neurons: 22,062
I do not know whether it is true, but some people claim that one reason for the American Revolution is that many American slaveholders knew that it was only a matter of time before the British government abolished slavery. So some people decided to declare independence in order to preserve slavery.
Cat
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 12:26:15 PM

Neurons: 194,012
From Wikipedia:

African American Loyalists

The majority of African Americans who volunteered to take up arms did so for the British Crown forces. They did so at the promise of freedom from slavery promised by the British, despite some Loyalists fearing that if blacks had weapons that they would start slave rebellions. Indeed, the promise of freedom to slaves and encouragement to take up arms by the Crown acted as a recruiting aid to the Revolution in the South, where it was seen as a threat to the established order by Revolutionary slave owners. The British did use African Americans as laborers, skilled workers, foragers and spies. Except for those blacks who joined Lord Dunmore's Ethiopian Regiment, there were only a few blacks, such as Seymour Burr, who served in the British army while the fighting was concentrated in the North. It was not until the final months of the war, when manpower was low that blacks were used for fighting for Britain.

In Savannah, Augusta, and Charleston, when threatened by Patriot forces, the British augmented heir troops with African Americans. In October 1779, about 200 Black Loyalist soldiers assisted the British in successfully defending Savannah against a joint French and rebel American attack.

Here's the link: African Americans in the Revolutionary War

I did a Google search to find verification of your statement TheParser. Here's one site I found: Was the American Revolution Fought to Save Slavery

The south had a healthy relationship with England economically and slaves made that possible so the argument that the revolution was about preserving slavery by engaging England in a war doesn't make sense to me.

Seize the day; think of all those women on the Titanic who waved away dessert. – Erma Bombeck
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 1:55:14 PM

Neurons: 22,062
Thank you, Cat, for your comments and the link.

I actually heard that theory (that one aim of the Revolution was to preserve slavery) when I heard Professor Noam Chomsky speak on television.

As you know, he is the "Father of Transformational Grammar." "Everyone" agrees that he is a brilliant linguist.

When it comes to his political views, he is not universally loved -- if you get my drift.

By the way, I think that the example of Canada shows that it would have been better if the Americans had not revolted. They should have stayed under British rule. Eventually, they would have gained their independence -- just as Canada did. And, presumably, there would have been no Civil War.

James