The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Venustiano Carranza (1859) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Venustiano Carranza (1859)

After Mexican leader Porfirio Díaz was deposed in 1911, a protracted power struggle ensued. Carranza was the third person in as many years to assume executive power after Díaz's ouster, but revolutionary leaders Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata objected and responded with force. Carranza prevailed, but his failure to implement key provisions of the liberal constitution of 1917 led to further unrest, and he was killed in 1920. What does carrancear, coined during Carranza's tenure, mean? More...
Elpuma1374
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 2:43:54 PM

Neurons: 7,371
Carrancear is used in the mexican spanish slang, and it means to steal. Not exactly sure how the term came about.
MTC
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 7:26:15 PM

Neurons: 8,606

Thanks, Elpuma1374.

About Carranza the article states:

Today, he is remembered as one of the “Big Four” of the Revolution, along with Zapata, Villa and Obregón.[2] Although for most of the time period between 1915 and 1920 he was more powerful than any of them,[2] he is today probably the least remembered of the four.[2] Historians point out Obregón's tactical brilliance and rise to power in the 1920s,[2] Villa's legendary bravery, flair, style and leadership and Zapata's unwavering idealism and vision.[2] Carranza had none of these.[2]

Ouch!

Christine
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:40:52 PM

Neurons: 15,842
"The ambitious Carranza made himself one of the most important figures in the Mexican Revolution because he truly believed that he knew what was best for the country.[2] He was a planner and organizer,[2] and succeeded through clever politicking where others relied on strength of arms."

suicide :(

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 10:50:25 PM

Neurons: 30,654
the war of words is always the victor in the end.

"Now" is the eternal present.