The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Multivitamins May Not Provide Major Health Benefit Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,850
Multivitamins May Not Provide Major Health Benefit

Multivitamins are a multibillion dollar industry, but data suggest people may be better off saving their money. Several studies found that multivitamin use does not protect against age-related cognitive decline in men, nor does it reduce the risk of heart disease. Multivitamins' protective effects against cancer and cataracts have also been found to be very slight. Experts say there is no "magic pill" that will compensate for poor lifestyle habits; the best way to protect one's health is by being active and eating right. More...
Christine
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:29:32 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Eat your vegetables and fruit!!

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Abdelkrim
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 1:38:56 PM

Neurons: 120,649
It's easy to take care of yourself by being watchful to what you put in your system.A balanced diet combined with exercise can be good for you.Forget about taking pills and vitamins, it's a waste of money no more on less.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 1:49:34 PM

Neurons: 6,180
In societies where fruit and vegetables are scarce such pills are invaluable.

Christine
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:51:56 PM

Neurons: 15,842
uuaschbaer wrote:
In societies where fruit and vegetables are scarce such pills are invaluable.

true
thanks for remembering

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 4:44:12 PM

Neurons: 246,014
Multivitamins are a multi-billion dollar industry multiplied by mindless use. Most of them have minimal modicum of dissolving in the body.d'oh!
Professor
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 11:36:57 PM

Neurons: 42,160
It is not surprising that multivitamins may not provide additional health benefits as they tend to come in solid form are mostly insoluble, have no nutritional value and are expelled from the body--most often ending up as "bedpan bullets." They basically exit the body in the same form they went in.

Many sources quote nurses who find vitamin pills in the bedpans of their patients. The same is true of the poor souls who have to clean out the port-a-pottys. The screen in the bottom of the port-a-potty tells it all. There are intact pills with some of the inscribed names still visible on the pill. (Women to Women Magazine)

There's a simple "acid test" you can try at home to find out if your multivitamin dissolves properly:
1. Place approximately one cup of white vinegar in a small bowl and warm it to 98 degrees or so by placing it inside a larger bowl of water that you "top up" several times with warm water from the tap. (The goal is to keep the vinegar reasonably close to 98 degrees for half an hour.)
2. Drop your multi-vitamin (or other pill) into the vinegar, and jostle it about every five minutes or so by gently shaking or swirling the cup. While you can also stir the mix with a wooden stick or toothpick, be careful not to touch the tablet itself.
3. The tablet should dissolve within 30 minutes. (This is the USP standard for all pharmaceutical tablets.) If it doesn't dissolve, it's not doing you any good. The nutritional supplement industry is an unregulated industry.

My recommendation it to simply eat "GOMBS" Greens, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds, daily.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 10:14:40 PM

Neurons: 60,532
Professor wrote:
It is not surprising that multivitamins may not provide additional health benefits as they tend to come in solid form are mostly insoluble, have no nutritional value and are expelled from the body--most often ending up as "bedpan bullets." They basically exit the body in the same form they went in.
And your evidence for these statements are?

Many sources (providing a few would be nice) quote nurses who find vitamin pills in the bedpans of their patients. (This would not be too surprising since hospital patients are often recovering from anesthesia which slows the body's digestion)The same is true of the poor souls who have to clean out the port-a-pottys. The screen in the bottom of the port-a-potty tells it all. There are intact pills with some of the inscribed names still visible on the pill. (Women to Women Magazine) (I can't help but wonder why Women to Women magazine is covering port-a-potty screens, but ok. Oh, and some evidence would still be appreciated.)

There's a simple "acid test" you can try at home to find out if your multivitamin dissolves properly:
1. Place approximately one cup of white vinegar in a small bowl and warm it to 98 degrees or so by placing it inside a larger bowl of water that you "top up" several times with warm water from the tap. (The goal is to keep the vinegar reasonably close to 98 degrees for half an hour.)
2. Drop your multi-vitamin (or other pill) into the vinegar, and jostle it about every five minutes or so by gently shaking or swirling the cup. While you can also stir the mix with a wooden stick or toothpick, be careful not to touch the tablet itself.
3. The tablet should dissolve within 30 minutes. (This is the USP standard for all pharmaceutical tablets.) If it doesn't dissolve, it's not doing you any good. The nutritional supplement industry is an unregulated industry.

I don't really care one way or the other about supplements, but reading the article I find them talking out of both sides of their mouth. After disparaging the supplement industry, they then admit that there might be some benefits also, and that people should be free to use them as they so desire. I do, however, want to mention a few facts:

1. White vinegar is not the same pH as the hydrochloric acid of the stomach. Vinegar is around 2.4 on the scale while the hydrochloric acid of the stomach is around 1, which means it is over ten times stronger in acid. Hydrochloric acid is the same stuff as in car batteries which is a zero on the pH scale, but the water content of the stomach generally raises it to a one on the scale.

2. Your stomach is not a small bowel of warm water.

3. Your stomach does not simply swish the contents around ever so gently every five minutes or so. It is lined with muscles called rugae which grind and crush nearly continuously, producing a liquid called chyme.

4. Whether or not the industry is regulated is irrelevant to the pill dissolving process.

A few things I think a "professor" should know.

My recommendation it to simply eat "GOMBS" Greens, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds, daily.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit