The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all, and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 88,161
It is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all, and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.

Bram Stoker (1847-1912)
MTC
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 12:58:57 AM

Neurons: 8,606

Dracula, Ch. 14

He stepped over and sat down beside me, and went on, "You are a clever man, friend John. You reason well, and your wit is bold, but you are too prejudiced. You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Do you not think that there are things which you cannot understand, and yet which are, that some people see things that others cannot? But there are things old and new which must not be contemplated by men's eyes, because they know, or think they know, some things which other men have told them. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all, and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain. But yet we see around us every day the growth of new beliefs, which think themselves new, and which are yet but the old, which pretend to be young, like the fine ladies at the opera. I suppose now you do not believe in corporeal transference. No? Nor in materialization. No? Nor in astral bodies. No? Nor in the reading of thought. No? Nor in hypnotism..."

"Yes," I said. "Charcot has proved that pretty well."

http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/bstoker/bl-bsto-drac-14.htm

CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 3:37:32 AM

Neurons: 339,558
It is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all, and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain. Bram Stoker (1847-1912)

Like it or not, Stoker's quote is only relevant today when the word "our science" is replaced with "organized religion."
abrar
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 5:47:53 AM

Neurons: 150
very little we all know & still there are so many things we need to explore as you know scientists understands 4% of universe??
thar
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 6:28:47 AM

Neurons: 85,614
This was certainly not true at the time! At the time it was set, science was realising how much there was to learn, and was confident that what it did not understand then, it would eventually.
So that may have been true of other times, but at that time.....more of a personal opinion with an agenda by that character, I suspect!
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 11:59:28 AM

Neurons: 565,158
Chevegas wrote:
It is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all, and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain. Bram Stoker (1847-1912)

Like it or not, Stoker's quote is only relevant today when the word "our science" is replaced with "organized religion."

CheVegas gives us the choice - 'like it or not'. I don't like it. No one can paint ALL organised religion black. On the other hand 'disorganised religion' wants to explain all, but can explain nothing.
Raule Duke
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 1:43:14 PM

Neurons: 811
Agreed
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 2:31:17 PM

Neurons: 268,309
Sooner or later all can be explained. The only problem is that humankind don't mean to last this long. Does Count Dracula belong to humankind?
Christine
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 3:56:57 PM

Neurons: 15,842
abrar wrote:
very little we all know & still there are so many things we need to explore as you know scientists understands 4% of universe??

Applause Applause
Absurdicuss
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 8:37:10 PM

Neurons: 30,654
abrar wrote:

you are over generous. 4% of the planet's oceans sounds more realistic to me.

Chevegas wrote:

Trust me when I tell you that mere opinion carries no weight here.

Hello thar, am I mistaken or is it not the prevailing view among secular scientists that "science" will eventually explain everything from a naturalistic worldview? I ask respectfully and sincerely.

Bully - I'm thinking later...much later....even never. Never will mankind ascend to absolute knowledge and truth for to do so would man would have to become God.

Fire away!
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 1:52:04 AM

Neurons: 339,558
Absurdicuss wrote:
Trust me when I tell you that mere opinion carries no weight here.

Never in history has more evidence existed to support my "opinion." TFD is a great website for compiling it!

My post was merely intended to provide balance to Stoker's specious statement. Admittedly, I could've phrased it better.

P.S., "Trust" is how Bronze Age myths perpetuate themselves; conversely, Science demands evidence.