The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

WordHub: The new word search app! Options
TFD
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 3:26:53 PM

Check out WordHub, the new word search app by Farlex International, for iPhone and iPad:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wordhub/id725539262?mt=8

Steven
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 7:34:30 PM

Neurons: 10,185
This is a very addicting game Whistle Whistle Whistle
blue2
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 7:39:20 PM

Neurons: 23,044

Darn it all! Why not for a Mac too! Brick wall

"Ignorant men don't know what good they hold in their hands until they've flung it away." - Sophocles
excaelis
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 9:46:56 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Android ?

Sanity is not statistical
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:25:03 AM

Neurons: 285,107
Jolla (Sailfish OS)?

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 6:52:39 AM

Neurons: 6,180
iOs <7 ?

CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 7:03:37 AM

Neurons: 311,977
I've played a lot of games on my iPhone at night (insomnia). Some of the words/abbreviations/acronymns/place names I enter aren't accepted, but others areaccepted.

Is there a method to the madness? An explanation for acceptable words?
TFD
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 12:19:48 PM

Chevegas wrote:
Some of the words/abbreviations/acronymns/place names I enter aren't accepted, but others areaccepted.

The words are drawn from TheFreeDictionary.com's database of dictionaries. Abbreviations and place names should be excluded, but may be accepted if they also have other meanings. If you provide some examples, the development team will take a look.
Paul365
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:36:53 PM

Neurons: 3,789
How about Android

Have a little faith!
Klaas V
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 4:32:23 AM

Neurons: 4,802
blue2 wrote:

Darn it all! Why not for a Mac too! Brick wall

Right, computers are for these kind of applications, phones are made to call people, aren't they?

With maybe the exception of the unasked there just isn't such thing available as a dumb question - Z4us
io4yiu
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:57:37 AM

Neurons: 162,013
So this is most optimal on Win?
I'm in win8. Is it good, what about in linux?
twoisone
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 4:44:57 PM

Neurons: 539,211
nnorlen wrote:
Chevegas wrote:
Some of the words/abbreviations/acronymns/place names I enter aren't accepted, but others areaccepted.

The words are drawn from TheFreeDictionary.com's database of dictionaries. Abbreviations and place names should be excluded, but may be accepted if they also have other meanings. If you provide some examples, the development team will take a look.

Pisces is in TFD but is not accepted in WordHub.
TFD
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 9:59:04 AM

The game does not accept proper nouns or adjectives.
ecl экл اكلا
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 6:00:35 AM

Neurons: 463,012
I am afraid cheating is becoming just too popular w the WordHub.
TFD
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 10:51:59 AM

Please provide some more details so we can investigate.
Russella
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 12:19:12 PM

Neurons: 702,047
TFD wrote:

There are computer programs that unscramble words for you, as well as websites. These, along with double screens, can enable some of the highest ranking WordHub players, such as NeuroticHellFem, to enter every single word possible from a given puzzle, more than any human can physically type, in order to get a perfect score every time.
Tomahawk71
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 3:17:05 AM

Neurons: 122,596
How can a person can found and type 117 words in 120 seconds? No thinking, no typing errors and 465 points?!

This guy is clearly cheating.

Please inspect his games.

Tomahawk71
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 11:12:58 AM

Even just reading so many words takes more than 2 minutes! It is impossible to enter so many words in that limited time! Delon's cheat should be inspected.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 1:09:43 PM

Neurons: 1,726,636
Russella wrote:
TFD wrote:

There are computer programs that unscramble words for you, as well as websites. These, along with double screens, can enable some of the highest ranking WordHub players, such as NeuroticHellFem, to enter every single word possible from a given puzzle, more than any human can physically type, in order to get a perfect score every time.

I've been debating whether or not to respond to this. I keep typing an answer, then deleting it. It's a hell of a thing to openly accuse me of cheating!

Let me explain how I get such high word counts. I'm a touch typist: ten fingers without taking my eyes off the screen. I used to be able to do 70 words per minute. Playing wordhub might have increased my speed even higher, I haven't retested my typing speed. I've also spent many MONTHS playing words within words compulsively. I made a point of looking up most of my missed words. You'll note my posts throughout the words within words error thread on the site features forum. Many of my observations have been noted & the word base amended accordingly. My posts cover many months. Wordhub has the same set of game words as the words within words game, except wordhub only uses the 7 letter game words. I've become familiar with the same game words coming up. I can't recall the definition of every word I play, but I know they're words, that's enough for wordhub. If you'd spent this long playing the same rotation of game words, you'd become quicker at recalling them too. I've also got a better than average memory, so I'm frequently told. I certainly don't get perfect scores every game, but I have played a few "perfect" games. I still have some mental glitches too. I'm daunted when playing Delon & other top players. I make sure I'm warmed up & psyched up before I take them on. Sometimes I wait a day before playing a round with a tough opponent. I've got a dinosaur of a computer, it's 2nd hand. My keyboard sometimes (not always) sticks on R's, I score better on words without R. I manually type in every answer. It is possible! I still play multiple words within words games, concentrating on the 7 letter words. I'm playing the same game words over & over, it's becoming less of a challenge, so I try to be faster. I compete against myself to get 100% in games with higher word counts. I still kick myself when I miss a simple three letter word. I don't think you realise how much time I waste sitting here playing these word games. Other players are blocking me en masse, so I have to play random games just to have a chance at encountering a top 20 player.

Look up your missed words & learn how to type properly before you accuse me of cheating Russella! Shame on you

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Tomahawk71
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:09:11 AM

NeuroticHellFem wrote:
Russella wrote:
TFD wrote:

I've been debating whether or not to respond to this. I keep typing an answer, then deleting it. It's a hell of a thing to openly accuse me of cheating!

Let me explain how I get such high word counts. I'm a touch typist: ten fingers without taking my eyes off the screen. I used to be able to do 70 words per minute. Playing wordhub might have increased my speed even higher, I haven't retested my typing speed. I've also spent many MONTHS playing words within words compulsively. I made a point of looking up most of my missed words. You'll note my posts throughout the words within words error thread on the site features forum. Many of my observations have been noted & the word base amended accordingly. My posts cover many months. Wordhub has the same set of game words as the words within words game, except wordhub only uses the 7 letter game words. I've become familiar with the same game words coming up. I can't recall the definition of every word I play, but I know they're words, that's enough for wordhub. If you'd spent this long playing the same rotation of game words, you'd become quicker at recalling them too. I've also got a better than average memory, so I'm frequently told. I certainly don't get perfect scores every game, but I have played a few "perfect" games. I still have some mental glitches too. I'm daunted when playing Delon & other top players. I make sure I'm warmed up & psyched up before I take them on. Sometimes I wait a day before playing a round with a tough opponent. I've got a dinosaur of a computer, it's 2nd hand. My keyboard sometimes (not always) sticks on R's, I score better on words without R. I manually type in every answer. It is possible! I still play multiple words within words games, concentrating on the 7 letter words. I'm playing the same game words over & over, it's becoming less of a challenge, so I try to be faster. I compete against myself to get 100% in games with higher word counts. I still kick myself when I miss a simple three letter word. I don't think you realise how much time I waste sitting here playing these word games. Other players are blocking me en masse, so I have to play random games just to have a chance at encountering a top 20 player.

Look up your missed words & learn how to type properly before you accuse me of cheating Russella! Shame on you

Get a life, man. Life is not limited to Word Hub. Being number 1 in this games gets you nothing. Take it easy, relax and enjoy a normal life.
jfullerton
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:42:25 PM

We have elected to remove a post from this thread that explicitly pertained to cheating. We encourage fair play and do not condone cheating in any way.
Kaz.
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 6:15:06 PM

Neurons: 244,021
Hi,Everyone ^_^

Listen to Slam and love Lucifer <3
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 10:49:58 AM

Angel
Kaz c: wrote:
Hi,Everyone ^_^

Hi Kaz!
You've come out of nowhere to storm the game. I've tried to challenge you multiple times, but you've blocked me, same as most of the top 25. Brick wall
Give me a game Kaz! Angel

Magnus v G
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 7:42:55 AM

Neurons: 339,150
Tomahawk71 wrote:
NeuroticHellFem wrote:
Russella wrote:
TFD wrote:

Get a life, man. Life is not limited to Word Hub. Being number 1 in this games gets you nothing. Take it easy, relax and enjoy a normal life.

What's with the nastiness? Aren't you high up in the ranks also? That must include a lot of playing WH on your part also...
Kaz.
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 2:44:44 PM

NeuroticHellFem wrote:
Angel
Hi,Everyone ^_^

Hi Kaz!
You've come out of nowhere to storm the game. I've tried to challenge you multiple times, but you've blocked me, same as most of the top 25. Brick wall

But you'll beat me :c

Kaz.
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 5:53:24 PM

TFD wrote:
Check out WordHub, the new word search app by Farlex International, for iPhone and iPad:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wordhub/id725539262?mt=8

So, my match with this guy ends in a draw yet I still lose points?

TFD
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 10:11:23 AM

Please provide some more details so we can take a look.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 12:37:55 PM

NeuroticHellFem wrote:
Angel
Hi,Everyone ^_^

Hi Kaz!

But you'll beat me :c

I lost, Congratulations Kaz: c!

papadaiw
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:55:18 PM

Neurons: 381,088
Hi Kaz!
[/quote]

But you'll beat me :c[/quote]
I lost, Congratulations Kaz: c! [/quote]

Hi Kaz,
Can you unblock me and give me a game too?
papadaiw
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 8:31:49 AM

Neurons: 381,088
TFD wrote:

Please provide some more details so we can take a look.

Has this issue been fixed?
What should happen after a tie? No points exchange right?
CityDave
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 7:24:58 PM

Neurons: 695,522
NeuroticHellFem wrote:
Russella wrote:
TFD wrote:

I have just happened upon this post and I have to say it is the most fantastic response I have ever seen. Well done, I admire you.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 11:19:55 AM

CityDave wrote:
I have just happened upon this post and I have to say it is the most fantastic response I have ever seen. Well done, I admire you.

I've just happened upon this post. You're sweet CityDave, thank you.

NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 11:31:38 AM

Hey Admin: what on earth is this? It happened momentarily the other day & then reverted back to normal. Now my WordHub Home page is doing something weird. I clicked on "how to play" but there was no new info to explain it. What is this? Why two play buttons? The player at the top (I've blacked out their personal info for their privacy), is a player who has challenged me. Does this mean the players with the question marks are players I've challenged? Why can't I see their identities? What is the red spot under some of the mystery avatars?

TFD
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 11:40:16 AM

Please try logging out and logging back in to see if this issue persists.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 1:59:36 PM

Sorry Admin, I wasn't expecting such a prompt response. I was trying to figure out your "new" system & I was in & out. I've just logged off & back on. Problem resolved! Ha ha! I seriously thought it was you guys throwing in a new mystery element. d'oh!

Thanks!