The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

aseptic Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,442
aseptic

(adjective) Free of or using methods to keep free of pathological microorganisms.

Synonyms: sterile

Usage: The use of aseptic instruments in the operating room has significantly reduced the incidence of postsurgical infections.
MTC
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 2:19:15 AM

Neurons: 8,606

septic (adj.)
c.1600, from Latin septicus "of or pertaining to putrefaction," from Greek septikos "characterized by putrefaction," from sepein "make rotten or putrid, cause to rot" (see sepsis). Septic tank is attested from 1902.

(Etymonline.com)

The "a" in "aseptic," of course, meaning "without."

And speaking of health,

Captain's log, stardate 2013.6: Feeling great today, the best since log began 6 days ago. Outside Saturn passing by. Body functions normal. Brain level highest yet. Will try not to let it go to my head. Off to the holodeck to celebrate. Uhura looking good lately.
'
7371 points
2 1 1
103% Brain Level
Active streak: 6 days
This is your longest streak. Keep it going!

FounDit
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:39:44 AM

Neurons: 60,154
FounDit's log, Stardate 2013.16:

Crewman MTC suffering from hallucinations again as he imagines himself as the Captain.

Dr. Jacobus records patient believes he is passing by Saturn, but in actuality has been suffering from vertigo for a week now.

Currently believes the Dr.'s test results are a measure of his brain development.

Recently began carrying blow-up doll he has named Uhura. Often observed whispering plans for her on something called a "holodeck".

Hoping Dr. can cure him. Would not like to lose his valued expertise on providing context for Quotation of the Day...Whistle

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:44:08 PM

Neurons: 245,969
FounDit's log: "Hoping Dr. can cure him."

The use of aseptic, clean, but deep cutting instruments in the operating room may have done it, and significantly reduced the incidence of post-surgical infections. Applause
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:00:55 PM

Neurons: 563,379
Hirudo medicinalis, the bestest (and onliest) form of therapy this doctor would prescribe.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
MTC
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:46:09 PM

FoundIt's sendup left me laughing.

But not to be misunderstood, the "captain's log" is a fiction modeled after the "captain's log" on Startreck. The "captain" is a character--a fiction--not to be taken as real or as a claim to any real status or authority. I conceived the log as a running satire on TFD's latest scoring system with gold stars, brain function percentages, etc. Pretty silly and infantile, don't you think? I plan to "make entries" in the "captain's log" from time to time. There is no "crewman's log" to play off. So I hope you'll take it in the intended spirit of good fun, and not an effort to expand an ego. Neither leeches (Hirudo medicinalis) nor surgery will be necessary. By the way, that bit about the blow-up doll, did you get that on late night T.V.? Angel

excaelis
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:47:00 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Dammit, Jim ! I'm a doctor, not an etymologist !

Sanity is not statistical
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:57:15 PM

Neurons: 60,154
MTC,

Glad you took it in the spirit it was intended: Just a little fun. The whole thing came to me as a complete thought, including the blow-up doll bit.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
MTC
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 1:23:17 AM

Let's see now, "Blow-up Doll"... Thanks for reminding me. That's episode number....