The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

tim & eric awesome show, great job ! Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:44:03 PM

Neurons: 3,101
Has anyone here seen the Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job ! on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim ?

The sheer awkwardness in their varied skits brings such joy to my heart. I love how strange it is. I asked my boyfriend in the past if he was almost sort of envious because I swear as much as we like the show, it seems like we could have come up with it on our own if we had tried first.

I believe Tim & Eric are both from Pennsylvania. I think they went to Temple University, so apparently they're a big hit down there.

The recent episode that had to do with celebrating 100 years of Jackie Chan was my latest favorite.

I'm also a big fan of John C. Reilly in his fast-slurred awkward promotional conversations as Dr. Steve Brule.

Several weeks ago, I ordered the DVDs for seasons 1 & 2 of the show. The must be in such low availability since they're so small-time that it took until yesterday for the package to arrive from Amazon. I truly hope the show can exist for at least a few more seasons.
Drew
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:41:54 PM

Neurons: 4,487
prolixitysquared wrote:
I believe Tim & Eric are both from Pennsylvania. I think they went to Temple University, so apparently they're a big hit down there.

You are correct. I believe Tim and Eric are from the Allentown area. They both studied film at Temple U.

I have yet to see a full episode of the TV show, but I've watched some online videos of their material. It is strangely compelling. I don't think their style of humor is for everyone, but I find it hilarious.

I'm a big fan of the short films they made with Zach Galifianakis about Absolut Vodka.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:56:35 PM

Drew wrote:
prolixitysquared wrote:

You are correct. I believe Tim and Eric are from the Allentown area. They both studied film at Temple U.

I have yet to see a full episode of the TV show, but I've watched some online videos of their material. It is strangely compelling. I don't think their style of humor is for everyone, but I find it hilarious.

I'm a big fan of the short films they made with Zach Galifianakis about Absolut Vodka.

There are two skits I love that involve Rainn Wilson.

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951bc80ed4011c775c97750819

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c3921788d9d501178952796b0075

I'll have to check out the short films. At least one was listed on YouTube.

I'm sure some people wouldn't appreciate this type of programming at all. But I for one love it !
Luftmarque
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 8:26:18 PM

Neurons: 39,962
They do have a sure touch with a flat-affect deadpan style of humor that I love.

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire
kaliedel
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 2:28:00 PM

Neurons: 1,029
I've never seen it, but I've heard so many good things (and a lot of great buzz) about their show that somehow, I'll have to try to find a way to watch it.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 9:03:06 PM

kaliedel wrote:
I've never seen it, but I've heard so many good things (and a lot of great buzz) about their show that somehow, I'll have to try to find a way to watch it.

If you check out the links I posted above, you can see at least two skits from the show. But I'm pretty sure you can watch either whole episodes or partial episodes on Adult Swim's Web site.
kaliedel
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:55:55 PM

prolixitysquared wrote:
If you check out the links I posted above, you can see at least two skits from the show. But I'm pretty sure you can watch either whole episodes or partial episodes on Adult Swim's Web site.

I watched some of their stuff. It was both frightening and hilarious, especially the one with Rainn Wilson as Bobby Stoan. I'm not sure whether to laugh or have nightmares.
Drew
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:20:16 PM

prolixitysquared wrote:

There are two skits I love that involve Rainn Wilson.

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951bc80ed4011c775c97750819

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c3921788d9d501178952796b0075

I'll have to check out the short films. At least one was listed on YouTube.

I'm sure some people wouldn't appreciate this type of programming at all. But I for one love it !

I just watched those two skits with Rainn Wilson. That guy cracks me up.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:24:17 PM

Drew wrote:
[quote=prolixitysquared]

I just watched those two skits with Rainn Wilson. That guy cracks me up.

Yesterday, I caught one of Dr. Steve Brule's clips. It was about tips for living alone.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/tim-and-eric-awesome-show-great-job-living-with-dr-steve-brule/129786780

I cannot believe how much I love their work !
Drew
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:37:10 PM

prolixitysquared wrote:

Yesterday, I caught one of Dr. Steve Brule's clips. It was about tips for living alone.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/tim-and-eric-awesome-show-great-job-living-with-dr-steve-brule/129786780

It's great that Tim and Eric are able get very funny, very recognizable people to work with. Their humor is so unconventional. It's funny to see recognizable celebrities participate.
kaliedel
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:01:09 PM

prolixitysquared wrote:

That was truly hilarious. It's definitely an unconventional sense of humor.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:51:45 PM

Drew wrote:
prolixitysquared wrote:

It's great that Tim and Eric are able get very funny, very recognizable people to work with. Their humor is so unconventional. It's funny to see recognizable celebrities participate.

I'm always amazed too at how many celebrities they have on the show. I wonder how they even get to know these actors since the show seems so small-time.

The Tom Skerritt one is ab-fab.

I saw an episode the other night where Zach Galifianakis (the sadly-fated late night user of the outdoor hot tub in the freezing winter in Out Cold, if you've seen that) was teaching children how to act. My goodness, I love that show ! I am seriously obsessed with it.
aboutface
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:57:32 AM

Neurons: 3
Applause
WHy don't you go ahead and put your own version on youtube along with the rest of people now doing tim and eric style ?
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 8:38:27 AM

aboutface wrote:
Applause
WHy don't you go ahead and put your own version on youtube along with the rest of people now doing tim and eric style ?

I don't really use YouTube or have extra time for that kind of stuff. But thanks.
kaliedel
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:54:14 AM

I just managed to watch the "Cigarette Juice" clips - where do these guys get this stuff? It reminds me of the warped-yet-hilarious bite of Wondershowzen.
Drew
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:50:30 PM

kaliedel wrote:
I just managed to watch the "Cigarette Juice" clips - where do these guys get this stuff? It reminds me of the warped-yet-hilarious bite of Wondershowzen.

I've only seen a few episodes of Wondershowzen, but I think that's probably a pretty apt comparison, at least in terms of the out-of-left-field style of humor.
kaliedel
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:07:15 PM

Drew wrote:
I've only seen a few episodes of Wondershowzen, but I think that's probably a pretty apt comparison, at least in terms of the out-of-left-field style of humor.

I consider it "awkward humor" - a kind of comedy that shocks and/or squeezes laughter out of the audience through discomfort. The Office uses it to an extent, though it's much more benign and lighthearted.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:26:02 PM

kaliedel wrote:

Oh, yes ! That show was so ridiculous. I only saw two episodes, but it was the sort of video I'd save the link online so I could show it to anyone who visited my house.

I love the little girl who is a reporter. Michelle Robinson ? She would ask people how they liked it 'in there,' meaning some public bathroom.