The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Pecking Order Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,985
Pecking Order

A pecking order is a basic pattern of social organization within a flock of poultry in which dominance is established by aggression—members maintain their status by pecking those lower in rank without fear of retaliation and by submitting to pecks from those of higher rank. Nowadays, the term is used somewhat colloquially to describe social hierarchies among other creatures, including humans, and has even been applied to the finance industry. Who coined the term? More...
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:28:03 PM

Neurons: 246,084
Daemon wrote:
Pecking Order

A pecking order is a basic pattern of social organization within a flock of poultry in which dominance is established by aggression—members maintain their status by pecking those lower in rank without fear of retaliation and by submitting to pecks from those of higher rank. Nowadays, the term is used somewhat colloquially to describe social hierarchies among other creatures, including humans, and has even been applied to the finance industry. Who coined the term? More...

I can see how it would apply to the finance industry, pecking all the way to Mammon for paying respects.
MTC
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:36:01 PM

Neurons: 8,606

"Nowadays, the term...has even been applied to the finance industry." This would explain "pecuniary," though most in the industry look for more than mere "chicken feed."

On a more amorous note:

I love you, a bushel and a peck!
A bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck!
A hug around the neck, and a barrel and a heap
A barrel and a heap, and I'm talkin' in my sleep.

http://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/guysanddolls/bushelandapeck.htm