The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

No man knocks himself down; if his destiny knocks him down, his destiny must pick him up again. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
No man knocks himself down; if his destiny knocks him down, his destiny must pick him up again.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)
MTC
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 1:58:00 AM

Neurons: 8,606

With apologies to Dickens, the expression to "knock yourself out" had not gained currency in his time.
See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=knock%20yourself%20out
capitán
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 11:12:26 AM

Neurons: 23,124
MTC wrote:

With apologies to Dickens, the expression to "knock yourself out" had not gained currency in his time.
See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=knock%20yourself%20out

hahaha
I haven't realized how it sounded hahaha
that was a good one, MTC.

Anyway, I'll have to disagree with the idea of waiting to be picked up…
If we wait for destiny to pick ourselves up, it may never happen...
We have to pick ourselves up, don't you think?

Take it from someone who knows...

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Vg4uyYwEk
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 11:29:26 AM

Neurons: 254,408
Daemon wrote:
No man knocks himself down; if his destiny knocks him down, his destiny must pick him up again.

How may I pick up my must and where? Who say that destiny must be fair, reciprocal or otherwise civilized? Without deal in writing I suspect it's hopeless as any dead end.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 3:41:45 PM

Neurons: 245,969
Daemon wrote:

Any man called Swiveller, prone to soliloquy, and counting "staggerers" can find sympathy with this sentiment:

Quote, ""Under an accumulation of staggerers, no man can be considered a free agent. No man knocks himself down; if his destiny knocks him down, his destiny must pick him up again. Then I'm very glad that mine has brought all this upon itself, and I shall be as careless as I can, and make myself quite at home to spite it. So go on my buck,' said Mr Swiveller, taking his leave of the ceiling with a significant nod, 'and let us see which of us will be tired first!'-"" End Quote. From Chapter 34, The Old Curiosity Shop.

thar
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 5:25:45 PM

Neurons: 83,484
What this quotation makes me think of is something in between Swiveller's relishing of the power of fate, and Capitan's 'fight for everything, you control your destiny': - acknowledgement of the flow of fortunes, where you have to roll with the punches (sorry, so many mixed metaphors!) but be on the lookout for when fate does the picking up...

Anyway, this is what it brought to mind....

Quote:
There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

Julius Cæsar. Act iv. Sc. 3.
MTC
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 8:01:33 PM

Neurons: 8,606

To Capitan's question,"We have to pick ourselves up, don't you think?" my answer is an emphatic "yes" from spometimes bitter personal experience. We must act ourselves, and cannot wait for destiny to do it for us. Even the Stoics who believed in causal determinism thought that was not an excuse for doing nothing on our own behalf as Swiveller contends. Doing nothing and waiting for fate or destiny to act in a world causally determined is called "The Lazy Man's Arguement," I learned through my researches. Well, must be off now. Tide's at the flood.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 8:40:15 PM

Neurons: 59,911
And I have found that there is a tide in the affairs of men
which taken at the flood, often leads to misfortune;
Omitted, many of life's remaining voyages
Are found to be in calm waters and pleasantries.
Be wary of the flood; it can sweep you away.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Lara-a-b
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 9:24:16 PM

Neurons: 3
Many more would say success/Luck is where preparation meets with opportunity.
I concur that destiny must pick him up again; Great are many that would omit expecting destiny to do all the work forgetting that destiny can only work with what you give it.

It's like earth, on its' own though beautiful, it remains a plain and simple ground. Add other elements to it and you get life; life is what you make of it, it may not be perfect but ones little effort may pave the way for those coming behind to do better.
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:36:07 AM

Neurons: 245,969
Daemon wrote:

Oh, but some men do! And it is they who expect that destiny must pick them up, in spite of their indolence... or folly.

Shakespeare, on the other hand, was speaking of the crucible, not just opportune moment, when action must be decisive.
"On such a full sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.”