The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

She had resolved never again to belong to another than herself. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,442
She had resolved never again to belong to another than herself.

Kate Chopin (1851-1904)
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:14:47 AM

Neurons: 256,039
Better be wealthy and healthy, but how? I only know two ways to become independent: stay alone in forest long enough, perhaps forever, or turn into an oligarch - the richer, the better. Which one to choose is utterly your responsibility.
PS "I shall give a grand dinner before I leave the old house!" Edna exclaimed.
Xeslaster
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:35:40 AM

Neurons: 848
I'm not sure what kind of discussion this quote supposed to spark. Anyone who says anything about how she should be with a man or something similar would likely get flamed. This is certainly not a sensible comment to be made, but I refuse to believe her resolve to be independent is ALWAYS a positive thing. Bare in mind, I'm taking this quote out of context, just on the principle that I can derive without the rest of the text.

So here are some questions I pose: Are we so crazed with individuality now that belonging to another is the worst thing in the world? That, somehow, being identified by another person necessarily demeans your worth as a human being? These questions I think are infinitely more interesting to ponder than to just agree with what she says.

[39:3] Absolutely, the religion shall be devoted to GOD alone. Those who set up idols beside Him say, "We idolize them only to bring us closer to GOD; for they are in a better position!" GOD will judge them regarding their disputes. GOD does not guide such liars, disbelievers.
MTC
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 2:14:48 AM

Neurons: 8,606

Neither was it quite clear to Edna herself; but it unfolded itself as she sat for a while in silence. Instinct had prompted her to put away her husband's bounty in casting off her allegiance. She did not know how it would be when he returned. There would have to be an understanding, an explanation. Conditions would some way adjust themselves, she felt; but whatever came, she had resolved never again to belong to another than herself.

Ch 26, The Awakening
(1899)
by Kate Chopin
(1851-1904)

Edna is about to leave her husband, and move out to a small home nearby.

As for "belonging" to another, that implies exclusive possession and control. One human being cannot "belong" to another. That's called slavery, an illegal practice roundly denounced. At one time women came close to "belonging" to men in the traditional institution of marriage. They were treated much like chattel. We've gotten beyond that now. At least I thought we had.