The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Never ... be mean in anything; never be false; never be cruel. Avoid those three vices ... and I can always be hopeful of you. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,361
Never ... be mean in anything; never be false; never be cruel. Avoid those three vices ... and I can always be hopeful of you.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)
Xeslaster
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:36:07 AM

Neurons: 848
Just for fun -

1)Anyone who posts below me is mentally challenged
2)I am a 9'3" tall, 340 lb minotaur and
3)I torture puppies for fun

Sorry Mr. Dickens >.<

Though I definitely feel his sentiment.

[39:3] Absolutely, the religion shall be devoted to GOD alone. Those who set up idols beside Him say, "We idolize them only to bring us closer to GOD; for they are in a better position!" GOD will judge them regarding their disputes. GOD does not guide such liars, disbelievers.
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:02:31 PM

Neurons: 255,576
Never as well as always is too high for real life, but "three-in-one" - an extremism.
MTC
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:34:21 PM

Neurons: 8,606

With apologies to the deluded, contemptuous, puppy torturing, 9'3" tall, 340 lb minotaur (sic) above (just for fun,) the quotation is from Ch 15 of David Copperfield. Trot's (David Copperfield) great-aunt has left him temporarily at the home of her trusted solicitor, Mr. Wickfield, until he places Trot in a first rate boarding school. She leaves Trot with these parting words of materteral advice:

'Trot,' said my aunt in conclusion, 'be a credit to yourself, to me, and Mr. Dick, and Heaven be with you!'

I was greatly overcome, and could only thank her, again and again, and send my love to Mr. Dick.

'Never,' said my aunt, 'be mean in anything; never be false; never be cruel. Avoid those three vices, Trot, and I can always be hopeful of you.'

I promised, as well as I could, that I would not abuse her kindness or forget her admonition.

'The pony's at the door,' said my aunt, 'and I am off! Stay here.' With these words she embraced me hastily, and went out of the room, shutting the door after her.

(http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/cdickens/bl-cdick-dcopper-15.htm)

Xeslaster
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:23:48 PM

Neurons: 848
MTC wrote:

With apologies to the deluded, contemptuous, puppy torturing, 9'3" tall, 340 lb minotaur (sic) above (just for fun,) the quotation is from Ch 15 of David Copperfield. Trot's (David Copperfield) great-aunt has left him temporarily at the home of her trusted solicitor, Mr. Wickfield, until he places Trot in a first rate boarding school. She leaves Trot with these parting words of materteral advice:

'Trot,' said my aunt in conclusion, 'be a credit to yourself, to me, and Mr. Dick, and Heaven be with you!'

I was greatly overcome, and could only thank her, again and again, and send my love to Mr. Dick.

'Never,' said my aunt, 'be mean in anything; never be false; never be cruel. Avoid those three vices, Trot, and I can always be hopeful of you.'

I promised, as well as I could, that I would not abuse her kindness or forget her admonition.

'The pony's at the door,' said my aunt, 'and I am off! Stay here.' With these words she embraced me hastily, and went out of the room, shutting the door after her.

(http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/cdickens/bl-cdick-dcopper-15.htm)

Didn't mean to offend you bud, and I believe me I know most of the quotes are out of context, and I can find general wisdom in it. No contempt at all. However, I might have been slightly delusional as I had stayed up pretty much the whole night doing organic chemistry : )

[39:3] Absolutely, the religion shall be devoted to GOD alone. Those who set up idols beside Him say, "We idolize them only to bring us closer to GOD; for they are in a better position!" GOD will judge them regarding their disputes. GOD does not guide such liars, disbelievers.
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:38:15 PM

Neurons: 245,969
Daemon wrote:
Never ... be mean in anything; never be false; never be cruel. Avoid those three vices ... and I can always be hopeful of you.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

All the other vices notwithstanding, which are unavoidable, against all hope.