mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

the subjunctive mood . Options
marineguy
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 4:26:45 AM

Neurons: 33
hi everyone.
it's getting cold.
I expect you to take care of your health not to catch a cold.

"If it rained tomorrow, I would stay at home."

is above sentence correct one?
thanks.
wanda
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 8:48:21 AM

Neurons: 251
Well, first of all, I really don't know why you named your post like this. The sentence you're asking about is in a CONDITIONAL mood. It's wrong becasue you used 2nd conditional whereas in most of the cases you use 1st conditional while talking about future. So, the correct version is: It it rains tmrrw, I'll stay at home. Good luck.
Al Blanco
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:41:52 AM

Neurons: 1,688
wanda wrote:
Well, first of all, I really don't know why you named your post like this. The sentence you're asking about is in a CONDITIONAL mood. It's wrong becasue you used 2nd conditional whereas in most of the cases you use 1st conditional while talking about future. So, the correct version is: It it rains tmrrw, I'll stay at home. Good luck.

I think that the conditional mood is a form of the subjunctive mood. Many grammar books don't distinguish them.
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:31:57 AM

Neurons: 87,603
marineguy wrote:
hi everyone.
it's getting cold.
I expect you to take care of your health not to catch a cold.

"If it rained tomorrow, I would stay at home."

is above sentence correct one?
thanks.

We would not (correctly) use "If it rained tomorrow . . ." It gets past and future tenses all mixed up together. To confuse things, "were" will be used in the following examples, but this is the subjunctive form, a sort of "not true" or "may not be true" situation. (This assumes I remember correctly. Grammargeek or Paragorillabear may say better.)

If it rains tomorrow, I will stay at home and recommend you do so, too.

If it were to rain tomorrow, I would stay home and recommend you do so, too.

If it were to rain tomorrow, you should stay home.

You could also use "If it does rain tomorrow . . ." or "If it should rain tomorrow . . ." as the beginning of the sentence.
wanda
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:43:06 PM

Neurons: 251
[Al Blanco wrote:]
[wanda wrote:]

I think that the conditional mood is a form of the subjunctive mood. Many grammar books don't distinguish them.

Oh, you're right Whistle If natives say so... Besides, this is the definition provided by TFD:

subjunctive [səbˈdʒʌŋktɪv]
adj
(Linguistics / Grammar) Grammar denoting a mood of verbs used when the content of the clause is being doubted, supposed, feared true, etc., rather than being asserted. The rules for its use and the range of meanings it may possess vary considerably from language to language. In the following sentence, were is in the subjunctive I'd think very seriously about that if I were you
marineguy
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:40:13 AM

Neurons: 33
thank you,Ruthp.
I always appreciate you in sincere replies to my questions.