The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Better than man doth woman understand children, but man is more childish than woman. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,253
Better than man doth woman understand children, but man is more childish than woman.

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
lucasnamelock
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:02:55 AM

Neurons: 3
I find that offensive.
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:31:43 AM

Neurons: 197,103
Triangles of love - irreconcilable controversy.
PS More childish than mannish?
GreenBanana
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:42:32 AM

Neurons: 20,818
This should have been the word of the day: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/misandry

Make every post as if it was the first one in the thread.
ithink140
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:49:52 AM

Neurons: 17,922
Codswallop! Besides being a ridiculous comment the sentence makes no sense.

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
dusty
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:10:54 PM

Neurons: 5,760
I think Friedrich was a just a tad off with this one (if you consider a tad not being able to hit the broadside of a barn that is well within range)

First of all, childish does not equate to the irresponsibility and utter ignorance displayed by men, a child is by definition innocent and not supposed to be responsible or even think about those adult things because once they do, they are no longer a child. A child is supposed to behave irresponsibly, they are in the learning stage for Christ's sake

Second of all, the level of irresponsibility and utter ignorance displayed by a significant number of males surpasses the point of criminality, however it would be up to a court to determine if they were actually evil.

no comparison what-so-ever between men being compared with women or child,

thank God society doesn't need all three, and could survive just fine without men, otherwise we'd be screwed, praise the Good Lord Christ almighty! as that means the difference between Heaven and Hell (Heaven doesn't need to allow males in if they are a problem, not having the choice to have that sacred space go unviolated no matter how big and powerful a person may be is the definition of hell)

Now for the love of God shut the gates and lets be done with this

To be concerned of the fate of the world is not bad, but bearing false witness is to not be
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:49:08 PM

Neurons: 243,219
Daemon wrote:
Better than man doth woman understand children, but man is more childish than woman.

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

Nietzsche, if not Zarathustra himself, seems to appeal to all and sundry, one way or the other. He can even rub some the wrong way.

The quotation is not about man, nor only about woman, rather on balance about both. Take my word for it but see Chapter XVIII of Thus Spake Zarathustra.
Hope2
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:57:40 PM

Neurons: 16,769
Second recent quote that is inflammatory against men if taken out of context, which these of necessity are. What gives?

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
towan52
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:07:59 PM

Neurons: 186,107
Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns!

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
capitán
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:36:18 PM

Neurons: 22,157
lucasnamelock wrote:
I find that offensive.

Why? Because some may think men do not understand women?
What about women? Shouldn´t those childish women, too, feel offended by this?

The fact that women give birth to children and deal with them does not mean that they understand better children in general, neither does the fact that women supposedly grow up faster than men.

Men is more childish? I do not think so. I have seen childish men and women and I have to say it depends on the individual rather than on the sex. How much does it fall into socialization and genetics for a person to be childish, I do not know, however. I just think it does not depend on an indivual´s sex.-
egeopotum
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:38:21 PM

Neurons: 2,145
Men should treat this comment from Nietzsche as insignificant, and women should never use Nietzsche as a defender. He maligns everyone, and of the two, women get the worst of it.

He said two of the following three comments:

1. Man shall be trained for war, and woman for the recreation of the warrior: all else is folly.

2. Man may strive to understand children, but should not woman. For woman understands other women, and they sabotage each other.

3. Woman is not yet capable of friendship: women are still cats and birds. Or at best cows.

Remember, this "philosopher" went mad, or was perhaps already there.
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:44:39 PM

Neurons: 243,219
Nietzsche did say, perhaps in too subtle a context, "Man shall be trained for war..., it can be found in his Discourse "Old and Young Women", Chapter XVIII of "Thus Spake Zarathustra"

The 3rd statement is from Chapter XIV "The Friend" and the context below explains it as neutral: Zarathustra speaks to women and man alike. Hear him: "But tell me, ye men, who of you are capable of friendship?

Oh! your poverty, ye men, and your sordidness of soul! As much as ye give to your friend, will I give even to my foe, and will not have become poorer thereby.
There is comradeship: may there be friendship!
Thus spake Zarathustra." End quote.

And the whole context puts everything in a different perspective, doesn't it? Here it is:
"Far too long hath there been a slave and a tyrant concealed in woman. On that account woman is not yet capable of friendship: she knoweth only love.

In woman's love there is injustice and blindness to all she doth not love. And even in woman's conscious love, there is still always surprise and lightning and night, along with the light.

As yet woman is not capable of friendship: women are still cats, and birds. Or at the best, cows.

As yet woman is not capable of friendship. But tell me, ye men, who of you are capable of friendship?

Oh! your poverty, ye men, and your sordidness of soul! As much as ye give to your friend, will I give even to my foe, and will not have become poorer thereby.
There is comradeship: may there be friendship!
Thus spake Zarathustra." End quote. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1998/1998-h/1998-h.htm#link2H_4_0019

One must have patience with Nietzsche, think through his ideas and language, and then let the chips fall where they may in judging, whether one likes him or not.

As to statement number 2...
excaelis
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 12:14:25 AM

Neurons: 32,652
No fair ! Anyway, Nietzsche has cooties !

Sanity is not statistical