The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

To learn is not to know; there are the learners and the learned. Memory makes the one, philosophy the other. Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 88,215
To learn is not to know; there are the learners and the learned. Memory makes the one, philosophy the other.

Alexandre Dumas (1802-1870)
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:10:58 AM

Neurons: 268,725
Learning is only survival skill which drive human being to the apex of animal kingdom. And as such it isn't have direct link neither to a memory or philosophy. Does "the paragon of animals" sound more scandalous than ancestral kinship with the apes, according to some science guys?
Hugo F.
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:19:35 AM

Neurons: 3
it's a good definition of lateral thinking
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:23:12 AM

Neurons: 565,449
To learn is to know what you didn't know before.
Christine
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:19:37 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Remind me of art.
capitán
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:22:10 PM

Neurons: 25,609
Daemon wrote:
To learn is not to know; there are the learners and the learned. Memory makes the one, philosophy the other.

The learner is learning, the learned has learned...
I think that it is most important to think about what you do with your knowledge

“It is not enough to have a good mind.
The main thing is to use it well.”

Rene Descartes
Verbatim
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:47:02 PM

Neurons: 246,504
Daemon wrote:

""You must teach me a small part of what you know," said Dantes..." The abbe smiled. "Alas, my boy," said he, "human knowledge is confined within very narrow limits; and when I have taught you mathematics, physics, history, and the three or four modern languages with which I am acquainted, you will know as much as I do myself. Now, it will scarcely require two years for me to communicate to you the stock of learning I possess."
"Two years!" exclaimed Dantes; "do you really believe I can acquire all these things in so short a time?"
"Not their application, certainly, but their principles you may; to learn is not to know; there are the learners and the learned. Memory makes the one, philosophy the other.""
Alexandre Dumas: The Count of Monte Cristo. http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing? How about a lot of it?
Knowledge which doesn’t go beyond recitation or exhibition of any amount of learning, knowledge with little understanding, that is the dangerous thing. Without personal judgment filtering and sorting, interpreting and further thought inspiring, all that knowledge is not just dangerous but deadly.
It is, in our times, what they shamelessly call “expertise”-- a blank cheque to screw up.

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:07:12 PM

Neurons: 565,449
This makes me think - 'what do I know?' I know very little. I only believe what I have learned from others, and they might have been wrong. What can we know for certain?
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:09:23 AM

Neurons: 246,504
Certainly everything is worth questioning. Descartes was quoted already, and since he was one who questioned well I'll quote him too: In his "Key Philosophical Writings, Discourse on the Method", Part 1
Descartes talks about his many attempts at acquiring "instruction" and how embarrassed he found himself at discovering his own ignorance. Until, he said, "I learned to believe nothing too certainly of which
I had only been convinced by example and custom."