The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The world is a looking-glass, and gives back to every man the reflection of his own face. Frown at it, and it will in turn... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,100
The world is a looking-glass, and gives back to every man the reflection of his own face. Frown at it, and it will in turn look sourly upon you; laugh at it and with it, and it is a jolly kind companion; and so let all young persons take their choice.

William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863)
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:48:57 AM

Neurons: 62,962
Currently the consensus is that there is a large genetic component in the optimism/pessimism spectrum. My TFD horoscope tells me "Don't hesitate to dive into whatever project or situation suits your fancy today. Your luck will make you victorious in whatever game you choose. Happiness is almost inevitable." Doubt it somehow.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:18:56 AM

Neurons: 231,900
Looking-glass, window glass, sandglass, glass of wine - whatever you choose or whatever choice forced upon you.
early_apex
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:26:52 AM

Neurons: 12,855
pedro wrote:
Currently the consensus is that there is a large genetic component in the optimism/pessimism spectrum. My TFD horoscope tells me "Don't hesitate to dive into whatever project or situation suits your fancy today. Your luck will make you victorious in whatever game you choose. Happiness is almost inevitable." Doubt it somehow.

Congratulations, Pedro, on being almost guaranteed happiness today. I hope it is a good day for you, no matter what.

"Shut up, she explained." - Ring Lardner
jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:50:40 AM

Neurons: 9,052
Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and... :(
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:27:34 PM

Neurons: 245,359
Daemon wrote:
The world is a looking-glass, and gives back to every man the reflection of his own face. Frown at it, and it will in turn look sourly upon you; laugh at it and with it, and it is a jolly kind companion; and so let all young persons take their choice.

William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863)

You know it’s a beautiful day when even the cacophony of a crow sounds like the sweet song of a robin. But if it ruins even a beautiful day, you are depressed.