The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Linguistic trap Options
wercozy
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 10:50:14 PM

Neurons: 3,480
SEX... Now that I have your attention...

Presidents Clinton and Obama are great at linguistic trap, so are lawyers.

Lawyers set up their trap by providing a logical point A, followed by point B, then POW! The conclusion is unexpected and hits a nerve in the jury, setting up a completely different outcome for the lawyers client.

You cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. Jonathan Swift

Christine
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:20:00 PM

Neurons: 15,842
Anything smart person can and do the same.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Nibbles
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:26:03 PM

Attorneys are well trained in manipulating 'truth' and 'lies' and identifying both, as for sex, well, sex is a base instinct inherrent in most all if not every living creature. Combine the two, that is attorneys and sex, chaos ensues.
Nibbles
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:30:13 PM

show me an attorney that is not well adept at lying? hmmm, perhaps they live along the banks of lake placid or the dead sea. How does an attorney call thier children to dinner? '... get in the car kids, we're going to McDonalds..' What do you call an attorney on a waterbed? 'lake placid'
Nibbles
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:33:42 PM

by the way, the easiest way to win any argument with an attorney, especially in court, is antagonise the opposing attorney to such extent they lose their composure, or expose them in their private lives, publicly.
Nibbles
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:41:34 PM

By they way, if one can by chance or happenstance record a sexual tryst of an accusing or defending attorney, it goes far playing it back over dubbed in their church when the chior sings and the organist or pianist begins to play.
Nibbles
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:43:55 PM

I believe they call that, 'impeachment', although an attorney may argue the actual definition.
Kami
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:46:11 PM

Neurons: 687
Nibbles wrote:
Attorneys are well trained in manipulating 'truth' and 'lies' and identifying both, as for sex, well, sex is a base instinct inherrent in most all if not every living creature. Combine the two, that is attorneys and sex, chaos ensues.

Truth is truth and can't be successfully manipulated. You may spin around it million times but it'll remain there clean and pure, garing at you in the eyes. Only lies can be manipulated into some "truth" and that 'truth' won't last.
Nibbles
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 1:19:31 AM

Truth is an asymptote, beneath which lies knowledge, wisdom and time.

hmm, or is 'Truth' just an ass in tote?

so much for interpolation...
Nibbles
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 1:45:29 AM

oh, how I often ponder where truth lies, or where the truth did lay, I suppose perhaps maybe under some bed, along with cobwebs and much dust accumualated into some strange life form of it's own accord... reminds me of Walter Scott and his dublet, something to the effect thereof, "...'tis a tangled web one weaves, when first one practices to deceive..." he wrote that phrase many times, and stated it in many public houses, yet the words do ring true. Most people quote him as such, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave / When first we practice to deceive!"

Then again, the Scott family is famous for toilet paper, cheap and abrasive tissue at that.
Kami
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:35:36 AM

Neurons: 687
Truth is always very easy to be understood but a lie is very difficult to be understood.
Luftmarque
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:37:53 AM

Neurons: 11,610
Nibbles wrote:
Truth is an asymptote, beneath which lies knowledge, wisdom and time.

hmm, or is 'Truth' just an ass in tote?

so much for interpolation...

Amen bro! (As they say in the FoCo).

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire
man in black
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:39:00 AM

Neurons: 1,334
In the end we have all lied and will at some point in our lives and lawyers, like the greek sophists, earn their living by searching for every available trick they may find, now the problem with uncovering their lies is the responsability of the district attorney and he´s an inept, then the attorney wins.

look into my eyeballs, there thy beauty lies, then why not lips on lips since eyes on eyes? William Shakespeare
Jeech
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:14:50 AM

Neurons: 4,436

Truth and lies can never be equal. A lie is a lie. You can never evaluate a lie having spent hundreds of trillions of dollars on it. Believing in lies abolishes your freedom. Only truth sets you free from such linguistic traps.

*It's wonderful to know that all languages are Greek if not understood.*