The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

the friday night knitting club. Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 6:39:23 PM

Neurons: 3,101
Sometime last year, I read The Friday Night Knitting Club.

Afterward, I looked it up online only to discover that it was being made into a film. In the book, Julia Roberts is mentioned as a knitter who once in a while was known to visit the main character's yarn shop.

I read somewhere that Julia Roberts was one of the actresses being considered for the role of the main character. I used to like Julia Roberts, but I think now I just find her trite because she's so loved by non-celebrities. When I think of her, I recall an episode of Family Guy in which she's on a stage saying that it's a shame about that tsunami but that it's okay because she's still alive, everyone !

What really annoys me though about Roberts potentially playing the lead is that it's such a clear repeat of Steel Magnolias except in modern day and with a yarn shop in the city up north instead of down south with a hair salon. It would be like she's playing in the same movie again. I just think this should be an opportunity for someone who hasn't already played this part to try out the role.

I did enjoy the book, but I had some feeling that it was easy to detect that this was the first novel Kate Jacobs ever wrote. There's the bias of knowing that information beforehand. So in a way, I really wonder if I'd feel the same had I not known it was her first attempt at a novel.

I also really appreciated how the book brought to light a major health issue for women-- one that is not very often discussed in mainstream society. I won't mention what this issue is for those who haven't read it and would like to find out on their own.

Also, a side note about knitting and famous people-- Debra Messing from Will & Grace is supposedly allergic to wool but loves to knit as well.