The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Lotus Effect Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
The Lotus Effect

When water hits a lotus leaf, it pools up or rolls right off. This so-called lotus effect is due to a complex system of microscopic bumps on the leaf's waxy surface. These superhydrophobic structures protect the lotus from pathogens like fungi, which are easily swept off its leaves by water droplets. Although the lotus effect has been known in Asia for millennia—and was even noted in ancient Hindu texts—it was only scientifically understood in the early 1970s, thanks to the invention of what? More...
MTC
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 4:16:13 AM

Neurons: 8,606

Nature has had billions of years "to get it right." What better example of a design solution to water repellence and self-cleaning could there be than the lotus leaf? And the patent expired long ago.
Christine
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 10:51:11 AM

Neurons: 15,842
interesting

The pictures were wonderful.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)