The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

We are not rich in the bank, but we have always prospered, and we have quite enough. I never walk out with my husband but I... Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,395
We are not rich in the bank, but we have always prospered, and we have quite enough. I never walk out with my husband but I hear the people bless him ... I never lie down at night but I know that in the course of that day he has alleviated pain and soothed some fellow-creature in the time of need ... Is not this to be rich?

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 3:40:03 AM

Neurons: 247,467
You are always rich enough when you have a loved one, even more if your love returned.
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 3:57:02 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Do we presume this is Dicken's wife speaking?
MTC
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:02:00 AM

Neurons: 8,606

We do not.

We are not rich in the bank, but we have always prospered, and we have quite enough. I never walk out with my husband but I hear the people bless him. I never go into a house of any degree but I hear his praises or see them in grateful eyes. I never lie down at night but I know that in the course of that day he has alleviated pain and soothed some fellow-creature in the time of need. I know that from the beds of those who were past recovery, thanks have often, often gone up, in the last hour, for his patient ministration. Is not this to be rich?
The people even praise me as the doctor's wife. The people even like me as I go about, and make so much of me that I am quite abashed. I owe it all to him, my love, my pride! They like me for his sake, as I do everything I do in life for his sake.

Bleak House, Chapter LXVII, "The Close of Esther's Narrative"

http://www.victorianlondon.org/books/bleak-67.htm

Christine
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 11:29:29 AM

Neurons: 15,842
MTC wrote:

We do not.

We are not rich in the bank, but we have always prospered, and we have quite enough. I never walk out with my husband but I hear the people bless him. I never go into a house of any degree but I hear his praises or see them in grateful eyes. I never lie down at night but I know that in the course of that day he has alleviated pain and soothed some fellow-creature in the time of need. I know that from the beds of those who were past recovery, thanks have often, often gone up, in the last hour, for his patient ministration. Is not this to be rich?
The people even praise me as the doctor's wife. The people even like me as I go about, and make so much of me that I am quite abashed. I owe it all to him, my love, my pride! They like me for his sake, as I do everything I do in life for his sake.

Bleak House, Chapter LXVII, "The Close of Esther's Narrative"

http://www.victorianlondon.org/books/bleak-67.htm

I watched Bleak House on PBS. Was wonderful.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:15:34 PM

Neurons: 245,814
Daemon wrote:
We are not rich in the bank, but we have always prospered, and we have quite enough. I never walk out with my husband but I hear the people bless him ... I never lie down at night but I know that in the course of that day he has alleviated pain and soothed some fellow-creature in the time of need ... Is not this to be rich?

Dickens himself stood up for the ordinary people in his prose, actually not only his published prose. By sheer coincidence this came out just yesterday:
so here is a link to his willingness to alleviate pain by "putting his influence where his pen was" : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24129907

Incidentally, Tovarish was not very far off the mark, rather perceptive.

Tovarish
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 5:29:20 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Not really perseptive VB,but thank you, it was the line,'I never walk out with my husband', that made me think it was his wife speaking.

Then again it is possible he had a husband too.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 6:44:36 AM

Neurons: 6,180
Verbatim wrote:
Daemon wrote:

Dickens himself stood up for the ordinary people in his prose, actually not only his published prose. By sheer coincidence this came out just yesterday:
so here is a link to his willingness to alleviate pain by "putting his influence where his pen was" : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24129907

Incidentally, Tovarish was not very far off the mark, rather perceptive.

... and suddenly thousands of Dickens biographies were rendered incomplete. Applause