The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It seems that a man is meant to live only one life in this world. When he tries to live a second, he develops another nature. Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,964
It seems that a man is meant to live only one life in this world. When he tries to live a second, he develops another nature.

Willa Cather (1873-1947)
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:56:09 AM

Neurons: 39,933
and sometimes another family including a wife.
cgbalu
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:11:49 AM

Neurons: 1,486
Yes, this thinking comes to me often. After trying several times I am very happy with my own nature.
Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:40:24 AM

Neurons: 237,291
When two different person squeeze each other on the inside that's more a psychiatric phenomenon than psychological. And as such needs more exorcise than thoughtful thinking. Although it's really interesting how actor or actress juggle its personality with borrowed ones and make others to believe in reality of its forgery. Perhaps histrionic skills have nothing to do with magical powers of a Hollywood top-notch stardom.
PS And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
SeDate
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:48:54 AM

Neurons: 3
True but what causes the second attempt and the change?
dusty
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:16:49 AM

Neurons: 5,765
we need the whole page of text, maybe she means the nature of the Dead?

To be concerned of the fate of the world is not bad, but bearing false witness is to not be
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:18:41 AM

Neurons: 245,489
Daemon wrote:
It seems that a man is meant to live only one life in this world. When he tries to live a second, he develops another nature.

Willa Cather (1873-1947)

From "Alexander's Bridge": "It seems that a man is meant to live only one life in this world. When he tries to live a second, he develops another nature. I feel as if a second man had been grafted into me. At first he seemed only a pleasure-loving simpleton, of whose company I was rather ashamed, and whom I used to hide under my coat when I walked the Embankment, in London. But now he is strong and sullen, and he is fighting for his life at the cost of mine. That is his one activity: to grow strong. No creature ever wanted so much to live. Eventually, I suppose, he will absorb me altogether. Believe me, you will hate me then."

There is a price to pay for every pleasure... and for falling bridges.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 11:02:04 AM

Neurons: 57,791
It sounds more to me like the case of a normal personality under duress. When any person desires to express the wants and needs of their nature, but the culture they live in frowns upon certain manners of that expression, the desire doesn’t disappear.

Rather, it expresses itself in other ways, which can appear to be a different nature; or the individual feels the need to hide the behavior under the cover of darkness or secrecy. This often has the unintended consequence of strengthening the desires, making them even more difficult to control. This leads to the idea of another personality fighting to take control.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:42:09 PM

Neurons: 237,291
To some another nature may even go so far.
PS Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

MTC
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:55:53 AM

Neurons: 8,606

"It seems that a man is meant to live only one life in this world. When he tries to live a second, he develops another nature."

Yes, he becomes duplicitous.