The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Biological Pest Control Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
Biological Pest Control

Biological pest control involves the introduction of natural enemies, such as predators, parasites, or pathogens, into the environments of pests. Once a natural enemy is successfully established, it rarely requires additional human action. Examples of effective biocontrol include using ladybugs to prey on aphids and treating turf with the bacterium Bacillus popilliae, which is fatal to Japanese beetle larvae. What pest were dachshunds originally bred to control? More...
Nelson Pitter
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 2:57:58 AM

Neurons: 10
Daemon wrote:
Biological Pest Control

Biological pest control involves the introduction of natural enemies, such as predators, parasites, or pathogens, into the environments of pests. Once a natural enemy is successfully established, it rarely requires additional human action. Examples of effective biocontrol include using ladybugs to prey on aphids and treating turf with the bacterium , which is fatal to Japanese beetle larvae. What pest were dachshunds originally bred to control? More...

Biological pest control really seems an innovative way to deal with the problem of insects and mosquitoes. I have tried this measures suggested by Daemon, and it really worked. The advantage of biological pest control is that, it doesn't harm plants, trees and spoil fertility.
thar
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 4:10:37 AM

Neurons: 82,805
Yeah, cane toads were a great success in that department, weren't they!!! Shame on you
Hope2
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 9:06:38 AM

Neurons: 16,769
Thar, those cane toads sounded as if there were a machine gun on my balcony from 7 pm on through the night for several weeks this past winter. They say it is a mating call. If so, I was wishing she would hurry up and give him some.

There are other failed experiments where the 'pest control' creature that was introduced had no natural enemies and became a pest themselves.

However, on the whole it is better than pesticides where possible and where consequences are considered first.

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 3:01:58 AM

Neurons: 39,933
You beat me to it Thar, the introduction of the cane toad to eat beetles in cane fields and now the toad is wiping out native species in Australia.

The toad has highly toxic venom in its skin and birds, snakes and goannahs are dieing en mas, some very clever birds in the hawk family have learnt to tip them over and eat them from the underside.
excaelis
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 3:48:00 AM

Neurons: 32,652
The Hawaiian mongooses were awesome too.

If we could use the same theory to rid ourselves of nuisance species...hmmm...people who talk too loudly on cellphones in restaurants might be eliminated by ultra-violent serial killers, for example. Just riffin'.

Sanity is not statistical
grapple375
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 5:33:42 PM

Neurons: 30
by pest do you mean lawyers and salesmen or just plain simple bugs
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 6:35:55 PM

Neurons: 1,389,383
Hope2 wrote:
Thar, those cane toads sounded as if there were a machine gun on my balcony from 7 pm on through the night for several weeks this past winter. They say it is a mating call. If so, I was wishing she would hurry up and give him some.

Some girls are just not as easy as they should be.

My favorite method in my small gardens is the use of beer to make the snails stop eating the plants. It works quite well, and I always set aside a bit for them. I bid them "Cheers," and then find the next day that they have drank themselves to death; drowned in their happiness, it seems.

Just trying to figure out the difference between
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 1:33:13 AM

I believe 'toad golf' is quite popular.
Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:55:33 PM

International News today bring sad news that the cane toad, all be it an Asian species (Australian invasive species is South American)

has invaded Madagascar.

Also an island country with animal species vunerable to this pest.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:59:53 AM

Tovarish wrote:
I believe 'toad golf' is quite popular.

Of course ! Toad-in the Hole ! I imagine the only club required would be a mashie...Whistle

Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 3:06:29 AM

'A Toad in The Hole in One', it is limitless.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 3:11:31 AM

I wonder whether you have to get the entire toad in the hole, or just whatever isn't still stuck to your 9-iron.