The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

help with the meaning Options
dadi5006
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 2:26:32 PM

"some deaf children have been known to have had a tracheostomy with the stoma left in place for 15+ years. "
Dear forum users , what do you understand from this sentence?
thar
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 6:46:07 PM

Neurons: 63,565
It would help to know which bit of the sentence you don't understand - the words, the structure or the medical terminology. I am assuming not the latter, at this point.

There have been cases where children have had a tracheostomy, and a stoma inserted, and that stoma has been left in place (ie not removed) for 15 or more years (15, 20 years).

Not still children after that long! Personally I would say 'patients have had..... as children, and left in place for 15+ years'. But then I am not writing it!
Briton
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 7:03:12 PM

Neurons: 16,440

Personally, I don't see the connection between being deaf and the necessity for a tracheostomy, but as the sentence stands, it is saying that a number of deaf children have had a surgical opening made in their throat, and a tube inserted, to aid their breathing.

This hole is kept open with the tube for more than fifteen years.

While the person can breathe this way, they lose the ability to speak as the air no longer passes over the vocal chords.
This procedure would be done as a last resort these days, and not for deafness alone.

It would be helpful to have more context. Where did you get this from?

thar
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:35:45 AM

Neurons: 63,565
Yes, I agree, it sounds very odd, not to say inviting infection. Any stoma is not something you do lightly, and 15 years worth...that sounds like long term ventilation. What the connection is with deafness - interesting! Maybe the deafness is not the motivation, but another symptom of the primary cause. Must be common enough to have 'some children' 15+ years, so presumably more for shorter times?