The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Linguistic dilemma Options
loveyoudown
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 6:04:03 AM

Neurons: 115
If you've stopped speaking the language you grew up speaking in out of bullying and you've started speaking the language everyone else speaks, and the language everyone else speaks is now the language you use everyday, and you've lost confidence in speaking the language you used to speak, but you still have a bigger vocabulary in your old language and you still think in it, then what is your native language?

(Sorry if my post was going around in circles).
loveyoudown
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 6:59:59 AM

What do you think?
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 7:46:14 AM

Neurons: 349,551
loveyoudown wrote:
If you've stopped speaking the language you grew up speaking in out of bullying and you've started speaking the language everyone else speaks, and the language everyone else speaks is now the language you use everyday, and you've lost confidence in speaking the language you used to speak, but you still have a bigger vocabulary in your old language and you still think in it, then what is your native language?

Your 'native' language is the one you grew up with. The language you use in order to fit in with the 'bullying' majority is your 'adopted' language. I quite understand this question, although 'language' is probably not the right word in my case. I felt compelled to change my dialect and adjust my vocabulary in order to communicate effectively with the people around me. After a couple of years I used my adopted language everyday, even when in my original environment. However, I still thought things out in my native language before speaking in my adopted language.

I remember, therefore I am.
loveyoudown
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 8:01:14 AM

Edited
loveyoudown
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:37:05 AM

loveyoudown wrote:

That's exactly what has happened to me.

loveyoudown
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 12:51:21 AM

jacobusmaximus wrote:
loveyoudown wrote:

Your 'native' language is the one you grew up with. The language you use in order to fit in with the 'bullying' majority is your 'adopted' language. I quite understand this question, although 'language' is probably not the right word in my case. I felt compelled to change my dialect and adjust my vocabulary in order to communicate effectively with the people around me. After a couple of years I used my adopted language everyday, even when in my original environment. However, I still thought things out in my native language before speaking in my adopted language.

Could people tell you're different? Like, do you talk inarticulately or something? (That's what has happened in my case).
Klaas V
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 1:09:34 PM

Neurons: 4,802
Most natives hear immediately your native language is different from what jacobusmaximus calls adopted language (I like this expression), in my case Italian (or even some local dialect words making my wife quasi angry, since she is born in another part than where we live. It's weird that I sometimes forget some specific details of the language I spoke for over 50 years. My wife and I use mostly English to make things more complicated :-)

With maybe the exception of the unasked there just isn't such thing available as a dumb question - Z4us
loveyoudown
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:55:58 AM

Has anyone else here experienced not knowing what language you think in?
loveyoudown
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:06:22 AM

In my case, my adopted language isn't exactly my adopted language because it used to be that I spoke it interchangeably with my "native language" depending on what my mood was. It's just that I force myself to speak in my "adopted language" even when I'm not in the mood for speaking it.
loveyoudown
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:54:30 AM

ClubFavolosa wrote:
Most natives hear immediately your native language is different from what jacobusmaximus calls adopted language (I like this expression), in my case Italian (or even some local dialect words making my wife quasi angry, since she is born in another part than where we live. It's weird that I sometimes forget some specific details of the language I spoke for over 50 years. My wife and I use mostly English to make things more complicated :-)

Where are you from?
Klaas V
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:11:44 AM

Neurons: 4,802
I'm born in Utrecht, Netherlands, loveyoudown

With maybe the exception of the unasked there just isn't such thing available as a dumb question - Z4us
loveyoudown
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:53:27 AM

BTW, how could you regain confidence in speaking a certain language?
rogermue
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 2:03:21 AM

Neurons: 34,900
Hello loveyoudown,
I can understand your problem and feel sorry for you.
But in our world today I should say it is almost normal that a lot of
people can and must communicate in two or even three languages.
Without English you don't understand the world today.
As a native German living in Germany I have been studying English
nearly all my life and I a seldom read a novel in German, it must be
English (or French in the last time), but of course my mother tongue
is German and I think in German except when writing in English.

On the one side I understand your problem, on the other side I'm wondering
what your problem really is. Is it that you live in an area where the
foreign tongue is spoken and is it that you don't have practice using
your mother tongue fearing that you will lose it in the course of time?

Well, then you have to read books in your mother tongue or newspapers
or communicate on the Internet with others in your mother tongue.
And think of the radio. If you look for possibilities to stay in contact
with your mother tongue you won't lose it.

But,of course, I must say I know too little of your special situation to give you
helpful advice.