The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Gone Are the Days of a Quarter a Tooth Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,877
Gone Are the Days of a Quarter a Tooth

The tooth fairy seems to have lost her head in recent years, spending wildly to expand her collection of baby teeth. A study by financial services company Visa finds that the going rate for a tooth in the US these days is $3.70 on average, well above the quarter many of us remember finding under our pillows. Some kids get even more. Six percent of tooth fairy representatives—otherwise known as parents—shell out $20 per tooth, while two percent leave an outrageous $50 or more. Has the tooth fairy gone too far, or is this just the cost of inflation? More...
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:09:11 AM

Neurons: 87,603
I used the Bureau of Labor Statistics: Constant dollar calculator.

According to this, a quarter from my approximately tooth fairy-age childhood would be about $2 today. I looked across a number of years and it ran from about $1.90 to about $2.25 in value.

I don't, however, recall whether the earlier teeth got a quarter. It may have been 10¢ in the beginning, though I'm thinking that, while expensive, quarters would have been easier to manage under the pillow than dimes.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:34:23 PM

Neurons: 32,652
We've always been at $5 Canadian - I didn't want him accidentally swallowing coins, then deliberately swallowing magnets without the fishing line...

Sanity is not statistical