The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

There is—though I do not know how there is or why there is—a sense of infinite peace and protection in the glittering hosts... Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,100
There is—though I do not know how there is or why there is—a sense of infinite peace and protection in the glittering hosts of heaven.

H.G. Wells (1866-1946)
TirumalJ
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:48:51 AM

Neurons: 375
Could it be that we want to escape the drudgery of life on earth, that we (have) or our mind (has), as a way of crutch, created this utopia? Think
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:56:38 AM

Neurons: 231,900
Night really give us the rest, pause to think, dream or snore at least. There's a chance to hear or see - as in the case with nightly sky, the world and yourself.
jcbarros
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 1:31:38 PM

Neurons: 9,052
Provided the pollution allows us to see that glittering...
MTC
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 6:10:30 PM

Neurons: 8,606

The quotation comes from the concluding paragraph of The Island of Dr. Moreau in which the narrator, having escaped from the Island and the "Beast People," extracts a lesson about man's dual nature from his nightmarish experience, and consoles himself with a profound realization:

This is a mood, however, that comes to me now, I thank God, more rarely. I have withdrawn myself from the confusion of cities and multitudes, and spend my days surrounded by wise books,—bright windows in this life of ours, lit by the shining souls of men. I see few strangers, and have but a small household. My days I devote to reading and to experiments in chemistry, and I spend many of the clear nights in the study of astronomy. There is—though I do not know how there is or why there is—a sense of infinite peace and protection in the glittering hosts of heaven. There it must be, I think, in the vast and eternal laws of matter, and not in the daily cares and sins and troubles of men, that whatever is more than animal within us must find its solace and its hope. I hope, or I could not live.
And so, in hope and solitude, my story ends.
EDWARD PRENDICK.

Absurdicuss
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:35:45 PM

Neurons: 29,776
There abides in the human heart and perhaps in lesser creatures too, though none to my knowledge have confirmed it, a certain sense of awe, and majesty at the grand scale of creation.
It is as if, in the permanence of it's fixture, we perceive and feel, rising up from within, in those moments of wonder, a divine deposit from the eternal.

selah

"Now" is the eternal present.