The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule. Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:00:00 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/7/2009
Posts: 29,025
Neurons: 86,253
Location: Inside Farlex computers
Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)
jcbarros
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:34:38 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/14/2010
Posts: 2,356
Neurons: 9,052
Nothing is what it seems.
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 1:19:57 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 8,576
Neurons: 29,941
Location: Miami, Florida, United States
Daemon wrote:
Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Amen, brother!


"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 1:25:29 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 8,576
Neurons: 29,941
Location: Miami, Florida, United States
the context from which this was drawn follows:

Quote:

`I am not so unreasonable, sir, as to think you at all responsible for my mistakes and wrong conclusions; but I always supposed it was Miss Havisham.'

`As you say, Pip,' returned Mr Jaggers, turning his eyes upon me coolly, and taking a bite at his forefinger, `I am not at all re- sponsible for that.'

`And yet it looked so like it, sir,' I pleaded with a downcast heart.

`Not a particle of evidence, Pip,' said Mr Jaggers, shaking his head and gathering up his skirts. `Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule.'

`I have no more to say,' said I, with a sigh, after standing silent for a little while. `I have verified my information, and there's an end.'

`And Magwitch -- in New South Wales -- having at last disclosed himself,' said Mr Jaggers, `you will comprehend, Pip, how rigidly throughout my communication with you, I have always adhered to the strict line of fact. There has never been the least departure from the strict line of fact. You are quite aware of that?'

`Quite, sir.'

Great Expectations


"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 6:29:27 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/26/2013
Posts: 2,981
Neurons: 254,408
Location: Minsk, Minskaya Voblasts', Belarus
Take nothing on its looks, taste it. Get deeper and deeper until eventually you reach its core. Be careful with your teeth.
Christine
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:44:21 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/3/2009
Posts: 3,923
Neurons: 15,842
thanks, leonAzul

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)



Ridge_Runner
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:40:08 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 8/31/2013
Posts: 1
Neurons: 3
Location: United States, CA
Apply this to our President and you will realize he is not a Christian, American or Patriot.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:59:55 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 12,026
Neurons: 59,911
My dad used to say, "Never believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see."


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:04:45 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 12,026
Neurons: 59,911
Ridge_Runner wrote:
Apply this to our President and you will realize he is not a Christian, American or Patriot.


Welcome to the forum, Ridge_Runner.

Just a word of advice, however. If you throw bombs like that, only trouble can follow. If you want to make such statements, it would do you good service to back them up with some evidence, or facts.

Of course, you could say it is simply your opinion, in which case, you have every right to it, but if only that, you should state that fact.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Christine
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:34:08 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/3/2009
Posts: 3,923
Neurons: 15,842
Ridge_Runner wrote:
Apply this to our President and you will realize he is not a Christian, American or Patriot.


shame on youShame on you

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)



leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:37:06 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 8,576
Neurons: 29,941
Location: Miami, Florida, United States
Ridge_Runner wrote:
Apply this to our President and you will realize he is not a Christian, American or Patriot.

Evidence?


"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
guidegoose
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 8:18:20 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/7/2010
Posts: 4
Neurons: 2,277
Location: Grandview Heights, Ohio, United States
FounDit wrote:
My dad used to say, "Never believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see."
Yep, my dad said that too!

guidegoose
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 8:20:02 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/7/2010
Posts: 4
Neurons: 2,277
Location: Grandview Heights, Ohio, United States
Daemon wrote:
Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.