The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

To the boy of twenty it seems impossible that he will not love as wildly at sixty as he does then ... His love will never... Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,877
To the boy of twenty it seems impossible that he will not love as wildly at sixty as he does then ... His love will never fall, whoever else's may. Nobody ever loved as he loves, and so, of course, the rest of the world's experience can be no guide in his case.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2013 7:40:55 AM

Neurons: 258,893
Nature stuffed young lads (if only them!) with false hopes to the foolness or fullness as you please.
maillady
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2013 8:30:51 AM

Neurons: 3,375
I married a "boy of twenty" over 36 years ago and he STILL loves me!!
capitán
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2013 10:48:02 AM

Neurons: 23,777
Idle thoughts of an idle fellow

On being in love

¨But, there, of what use is it to preach? Who that feels the rush of young love through his veins can think it will ever flow feeble and slow! To the boy of twenty it seems impossible that he will not love as wildly at sixty as he does then. He cannot call to mind any middle-aged or elderly gentleman of his acquaintance who is known to exhibit symptoms of frantic attachment, but that does not interfere in his belief in himself. His love will never fall, whoever else’s may. Nobody ever loved as he loves, and so, of course, the rest of the world’s experience can be no guide in his case. Alas! alas! ere thirty he has joined the ranks of the sneerers. It is not his fault. Our passions, both the good and bad, cease with our blushes. We do not hate, nor grieve, nor joy, nor despair in our thirties like we did in our teens. Disappointment does not suggest suicide, and we quaff success without intoxication.¨

I have seen people saying the words ¨I´ll love you forever¨,
but I don´t think they even stop for a minute to think if their love is really going to last forever;
I don´t even think most people stop for a second to think if what they feel could really be called love.
But whatever it is they feel is so ardent, they simply don´t care.
I have seen this in so many people of many ages that I do not think it is a characteristic of the youth.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2013 5:33:16 PM

Neurons: 246,014
Daemon wrote:
To the boy of twenty it seems impossible that he will not love as wildly at sixty as he does then ... His love will never fall, whoever else's may. Nobody ever loved as he loves, and so, of course, the rest of the world's experience can be no guide in his case.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

The trouble with idle thought...Think

I pass some time in idle thought
Less than a dime its doubtful worth.
A penny for my thought, you say?
More could be bought for lesser pay.

MTC
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:00:56 AM

Neurons: 8,606

We commented on a similar quotation from the same essay on July 30th : "If you would taste love, drink of the pure stream that youth pours out at your feet. Do not wait till it has become a muddy river before you stoop to catch its waves". Today's quotation is not quite as orgasmic.