The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

US Drops Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima (1945) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 82,371
US Drops Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima (1945)

After Germany surrendered in May 1945, the Allied forces focused on ending the war in the Pacific. Japan refused to surrender, dismissing the Allies' vows to devastate the country. The atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima was the first ever dropped on a populated area. At least 130,000 people were killed, injured, or declared missing, and 90 percent of the city was leveled by the blast. Another atomic bomb was dropped on the city of Nagasaki three days later. When did Japan surrender? More...
Christine
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:05:51 AM

Neurons: 15,842
A lot of innocent people lost their life, but their government did it.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

MTC
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:15:22 PM

Neurons: 8,606

Christine wrote:
A lot of innocent people lost their life, but their government did it.

The same might be said of the U.S. War in Iraq.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:26:47 AM

Neurons: 56,199
And all of that would have been unnecessary had there been leaders who knew how to behave and act like decent human beings.

Alas, there seems to be no shortage of such fools – the Middle East being a current prime example.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:21:40 PM

Neurons: 503,912
FounDit wrote:
And all of that would have been unnecessary had there been leaders who knew how to behave and act like decent human beings.

Alas, there seems to be no shortage of such fools – the Middle East being a current prime example.

I believe that Japan's leaders in 1945 wanted to stop the war but their subordinates would not have it. So who were the fools here?

I remember, therefore I am.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:30:43 PM

Neurons: 56,199
I'm assuming that is a rhetorical question.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit