The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The greatest tyrants over women are women. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,825
The greatest tyrants over women are women.

William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863)
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:23:41 AM

Neurons: 244,175
Man simply can't perform such difficult job. Besides, who knows better what women want and capable of?
Hupomone
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:44:51 AM

Neurons: 1,431
I think men are more tyranical and women caused the condition.
Foxmagos
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:02:09 PM

Neurons: 3
Consider the tyranny of magazines: those marketed for women feature images of extremely thin, often emaciated bodies, encouraging and perhaps even promoting eating and/or exercise disorders; those marketed to men promote images of the archetypical feminine: full breasts and hips and buttocks. I've known many women who call other women "sluts" or "whores" and very few men who would ever shame any women thus.
As a gay man, I lament accusations of misogyny that do do not also hold women accountable when they participate in it.
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:52:55 PM

Neurons: 9,052
Woman is a she wolf to woman.
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:35:06 PM

Neurons: 245,664
Daemon wrote:
The greatest tyrants over women are women.

William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863)

And why not? Women can learn just as fast and well as men have done. For centuries, men have had an unfair and exclusive chance at offending justice and common sense. They still do, but women are finally getting their equal chance to do the same.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:44:21 PM

Neurons: 30,361
I wanted badly to chime in but the little woman forbid it!!!

"Now" is the eternal present.
MTC
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:27:55 PM

Neurons: 8,606

Daemon lifted the quotation from Vanity Fair, CHAPTER XLIX

In Which We Enjoy Three Courses and a Dessert:

But it was when the ladies were alone that Becky knew the tug of war would come. And then indeed the little woman found herself in such a situation as made her acknowledge the correctness of Lord Steyne's caution to her to beware of the society of ladies above her own sphere. As they say, the persons who hate Irishmen most are Irishmen; so, assuredly, the greatest tyrants over women are women. When poor little Becky, alone with the ladies, went up to the fire-place whither the great ladies had repaired, the great ladies marched away and took possession of a table of drawings. When Becky followed them to the table of drawings, they dropped off one by one to the fire again. She tried to speak to one of the children (of whom she was commonly fond in public places), but Master George Gaunt was called away by his mamma; and the stranger was treated with such cruelty finally, that even Lady Steyne herself pitied her and went up to speak to the friendless little woman.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/599/599-h/599-h.htm#chap49

This is one of those provocative quotations that ought to draw out the ladies in droves, but in this forum, for whatever reason, seldom does.
Desiree
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:51:35 PM

Neurons: 201,123

It´s incredible that all men in the Forum think that "The greatest tyrants over women
are women" Absolutely , No!! The greatest tyrants are always men because ,they don´t
understand that each woman ....is a mystery that men must resolve.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 10:22:13 PM

Neurons: 30,361
I'm not all men mam.

And you fair Desiree are a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a riddle.

Thanking Mr. Churchill for the quote.

"Now" is the eternal present.
patovaanna
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 10:27:23 PM

Neurons: 556
Not children?

Select your thoughts just the same way you select what clothes you are going to wear every day
Desiree
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:18:09 AM

Neurons: 201,123

OH! "Abs." you do not deserve your avatar !! You understand the clue, and "that" makes
you a "gentleman". Thanks.
But... Don't thank "Mr. Churchill" for the quote, but Mr. W.Makepeace Thackery.

Romany
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:10:49 AM

Neurons: 49,419
Hey MTC,

re "This is one of those provocative quotations that ought to draw out the ladies in droves, but in this forum, for whatever reason, seldom does."

I think not only I, but other women on this forum have made our ideas on gender-baiting pretty clear by now. And I have certainly raised my voice time and again here on what seems to be a persistent pattern of out-of-context quotations that, obviously, are just thrown at us with the patently obvious expectation that we all will all, in Pavlovian manner, rise to the bait.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - our history and literature is full of blokes making statements that reflect an old mindset about gender. Its an historically accurate picture of how things used to be. We are hardly going to get our knickers in a twist about every person who ever said anything to reflect that older reality.

We reserve our energies for the present. Injustice, unfairness, misogynous ideas: we prefer to think that society has moved on. When we see evidence that dinosaurs still roam the land...THEN we speak out.Dancing